Parent and Child Parking Spaces

and if you look at car parks they are half full for the disabled and only allocate a few for parents

why should parents have to struggle????

tony....which do free delivery as i sure havnt found any

and if you look at car parks they are half full for the disabled and only allocate a few for parents

Try shopping at Tesco. There are two full aisles of parent and child spaces immediately outside the main entrance at my local branch, most of which are generally empty.

Why should parents get any preferential treatment at all?, I'd prefer it if supermarkets banned children completely.

they are empty usually in the day when kids are at nursery or whatever but can you get in them at teatime when folk leave work and think they can use them to get near the door with your child????

Ooooh controversial. On the whole I agree with the above.

Just where do you think the children are supposed to go if not with their parents? I am a disabled parent so could qualify for either. Fact is I don't use either generally as I have an electric trike and the children are old enough to look after themselves, but I did use them when the children were small. Borrow someone elses small children and pushchair and shopping and try it and you'll see why its necessary. Do you really want small children crossing a large car park? I find car parks terrifying enough with children. Drivers don't see small children often and no matter how careful you are there's always hair-raising incidents. It's certainly not about being lazy. Children are noisy but so are adults. I always give our children part of the shopping list and then there is a competition to see who completes their portion first. They don't get bored and shopping is finished in half the time. When they were younger I gave them a basket to carry with a fewer of the lighter items.

Try shopping at Tesco. There are two full aisles of parent and child spaces immediately outside the main entrance at my local branch, most of which are generally empty.
Not always, you'll often see me parked there. :hihi:

they are empty usually in the day when kids are at nursery or whatever but can you get in them at teatime when folk leave work and think they can use them to get near the door with your child????

Yes. You can.

I don't shop at Tesco during the day; I shop there between 5ish and 9ish, and occasionally at Saturday lunchtime. The parent and child spaces are never more than a third to half full. Try another supermarket if yours appears busy and you desperately need that sort of parking space.

no comment!!

not fair to say parents should not take kids to supermarkets!!!

i wouldnt dare leave my kids at home just because i thought they would be bored and my kids actually enjoy shopping and learning

and as for the point someone made about their always being spaces in mother and baby near the entrance...i think not as i have just been and all the spaces are full with ignorant folk trying to get near the door because its raining!!!

and with no kids and no disability!!!

were you not kids once???

i was,

and every saturday from the age of 12 to 15 my mother gave me a shopping list and sent me to the supermarket.

i walked 1mile to the Fine Fare,did the shopping for 3 or 4 days (for a family of 6) bagged it up and walked home again.

we couldn't afford a car.

i was,

and every saturday from the age of 12 to 15 my mother gave me a shopping list and sent me to the supermarket.

i walked 1mile to the Fine Fare,did the shopping for 3 or 4 days (for a family of 6) bagged it up and walked home again.

we couldn't afford a car.

We used to shop at Fine Fare at the Stag.

I'm glad its not just me that remembers them. :D

...as for the point someone made about their always being spaces in mother and baby near the entrance...

No, I said there were always free parent and child spaces, not that these spaces were necessarily the ones right next to the door. There are generally between half to two thirds free at my local branch of Tesco times I visit it (which as I mentioned above, does include peak times).

As mentioned in this or one of the many previous threads on parent and child parking, the spaces don't necessarily need to be right next to the entrance (though in many cases, they are). I agree that they should be wider than standard in order to accommodate the prams, car seats etc. There's no need for them to be immediatey adjacent to the door. Such locations should be given up to disabled driver spaces.