Parent and Child Parking Spaces

That’s a very interesting point, put the p/c spaces at the end of the car park and lets see if parents really need the space.

I will lay a side bet that many parents will take an empty ordinary space nearer to the shop:suspect:

You're probably right, but thats up to them! :P I went with my son to his local Waitrose, and the P&C spaces there aren't very near to the entrance. He's just happy to get a space where he can get the car door open wide enough to get the baby out easily. A few more moments walk doesn't hurt, unless someone is physically disabled or very frail in which case they will (hopefully) be able to use a disabled bay. When children are old enough to get out of the car unaided, then the parents should just use ordinary spaces. Its just common sense surely?

Ok, I know I'm probably opening an enormous can of worms here but hey, it's raining, I've got time!

Was at Tesco on Infirmary Road on Wednesday evening and parked in one of the parent & child spaces, as I have a 5 month old and the extra space makes it easier for me to get the car seat out. ....

It seems to me that these spaces are widely misused. In the end, the lady who challenged the teen and her mother reported the car to Tesco who asked her to move, but as she'd finished her shopping by this point she wasn't really that bothered!

What do others think?

I have this same prob at TESCO why can tpeople see its for parent with pram aged children or do you want ur car banging while im in small space trying to struggle with toddler and bambino in carseat? i have to say i always complain to CS or that lady with long dark hair with handheld computer thingy.

Cant some people remember how difficult the first few yrs are with kids?

Have to admit i did use the spaces when pregnant as i was super big and couldnt get out of car otherwise hehe!

If I can't get into a P&C parking space ....I drive to the other end of the car park where it's empty and take up 2 spaces .....Do I care ...NO...at least I can open the doors wide enough to get the twins out ...

So If you see a car parked taking up 2 spaces .....It's probably me :hihi:

done that before as well, but found pushing the trolley back up a wobbly tesco carpark and stupid speeding drivers a nightmare. LONG LIVE DELIVERY!

Cant some people remember how difficult the first few yrs are with kids?

Yes we can and we managhed perfectly well without P/C spaces although that was in the day when an average size car actualy fitted in to a parking space.:roll:

dont get me started on this . i shop at morrisons at meadowhead and every week the parent and toddler spaces are full of adults with teenages . i had to carry my grandson in his car seat from the other end of the car park then when i had done my shopping empty the food in the car then take him and the trolley to the front of the shop and carry the fatty all the way back to the car all because people are rude irresponsible and ignorant. they abuse these spaces and its not fair , they want to try carrying a baby in a seat then perhaps they might think again.

Crazy idea, but take him out of the seat.

Yes we can and we managhed perfectly well without P/C spaces although that was in the day when an average size car actualy fitted in to a parking space.:roll:

In the days before Mammon truly took over and shops would allow you more than a postage stamp sized parking bay! It's more important now to squeeze as many of us in as possible like rats :(

But also back in the old days, like my mother says, as a parent you were stuck in the house for weeks on end when you had a baby. Times have now changed.

Crazy idea, but take him out of the seat.

he.s only 3 months old and most of the time he's asleep not so easy to do all the time , thats why these spaces are provided and not for people who can walk . some of these toddlers are bloomin old enough to vote !

In the days before Mammon truly took over and shops would allow you more than a postage stamp sized parking bay! It's more important now to squeeze as many of us in as possible like rats :(

But also back in the old days, like my mother says, as a parent you were stuck in the house for weeks on end when you had a baby. Times have now changed.

Its not only the times that have changed, parking spaces are made for cars not MPV`s and 4x4`s, blame the vehicles not the spaces.

On this occasion, size (of your parking space) really matters

From the archive, first published Wednesday 22nd Aug 2007.

PARENTS like Claire Turner (Letters, August 8) make me so cross with their whinging over the so-called misuse of parent-and-child parking places in store car parks.

These places are provided by stores primarily as a marketing gimmick to encourage the gullible and high spending parent to shop there. They are not legally enforceable parking zones as the disabled places are, for which I have every respect. Almost every local car park, including those provided by the local authority, has spaces that are too narrow to adequately accommodate the modern car and its wider doors - the evidence on the sides of my own car is testament to that fact.

It is therefore unsurprising that car owners who value their vehicle choose to use the wider spaces of the parent-and-child parking spaces.

However it is the building regulation and legislation on all parking places that requires changing, the minimum size of parking space having not been amended since the 1960s.

Since then the width of cars has increased considerably and it is now impossible to park even a modern mini within the confines of it, let alone open the doors.

Unfortunately the insistence of local council planners that a minimum number of parking spaces be supplied with each new development has resulted in the bare minimum size being applied to new sites as the developers attempt to utilise as much space as possible on the more lucrative retail or office areas within the site and yet still fulfil the conditions of the planning application regarding parking space allocation.

The consequence is that this problem is likely to increase unless supermarkets and local authorities apply some sense to both existing and future commercial developments.

In the meantime Claire, although I empathise with your task of removing children from cars in tight spaces - yes, I've been there, I know - please have a little tolerance for the rest of our community who have to deal with wide doors, large bags and small legs and respect for our cars' bodywork.

You have no rights' to privileged parking. You are not disabled, just inconvenienced. Get over it.

That’s a very interesting point, put the p/c spaces at the end of the car park and lets see if parents really need the space.

I will lay a side bet that many parents will take an empty ordinary space nearer to the shop:suspect:

I use Tesco at Wath which has P & C spaces in three different locations. I find I can get into the ones furthest from the store no problem. You might have a point, but I for one certainly use them for the space.

Jim

You have no rights' to privileged parking. You are not disabled, just inconvenienced. Get over it.

Only one problem with what that letter writer says though, in a car park you are on private land so you must abide by their rules, including rules over P&C parking. If they say you must stand on one leg and go "Whoo-hoo" after parking your car then you must ;)

To me, there's no issue. Leave the spaces alone unless you have a right to use them, and if you're bothered about getting your car scratched, park at the back of the carpark or just take up two spaces. And never park in John Lewis in town! ;)