Unknown Entertainers

There are a few threads where various music hall acts are mentioned, famous and not so famous. But what about the acts that only got onto the Working Mens' Clubs, or only into the pubs. There must've been dozens of them.

I seem to remember a guy used to go around the pubs playing trumpet, he only knew one tune, 'Georgia on my Mind'. And he used to do this one song on a Conn Constellation trumpet which cost a fortune.

And another act, a comedy duo, two guys who called themselves 'Tip & Lal', anybody remember them? All of them trying to entertain the customers, I even died the death myself.

The guy with the trumpet was called nat ganella (think its spelled like that)

saw him at southey club when he was getting on a bit,plus i remember the pair called Haze and Benny.(one of them was in the film,rita sue and bob to)

one was dressed as a tramp and walked into the clubs drunk etc.Another old club turn was billed,noon and night cus he only did sundays think he sang yellow bird,first name of Lol ?.

The duo were called Huff & Puff one of them was in the film Rita,Sue & Bob Too, sadly no longer with us.The tramp act was a guy called Bonner Coleano.

Cheers!

saw him at southey club when he was getting on a bit,plus i remember the pair called Haze and Benny.(one of them was in the film,rita sue and bob to)

one was dressed as a tramp and walked into the clubs drunk etc.Another old club turn was billed,noon and night cus he only did sundays think he sang yellow bird,first name of Lol ?.

Nat Gonella played at the Grasshoppers rugby club, Preston on Friday nights around 1976. Usually ended show with 'Georgia'.(Joe Cocker's version of that is good). Nat would have been about 70 then. I read he retired to Bournemouth (I think) where he died about 1998. My father used to watch him in Manchester around 1934. So I took Dad along one night for a pint with his favourite trumpet player of 1934.

Hang about. I know Nat Gonella had a big hit with 'Georgia on my Mind' but the guy I was talking about wasn't a pro', he was a Solicitor's clerk and he worked up Bank St. By day he had the bowler hat, briefcase and pinstripe suit, by night he was a 'Georgia on my Mind' fool. He wore glasses too.

There was an article that took my eye about Stainless stephens who used to entertain the people on radio which was a stepping stone to the theatre.

He was a school teacher from Crookes by night and a comedian at weekends.

His real name was Arthur clifford Baynes and his opening line was Good evening, comma ladies and gentleman comma this is stainless semi colon, semi conscious Stainless,comma talking to you.

He is now only remembered by light entertainment historians.

He was born in 1892 and died in 1971.

His trademark was that he wore a stainless waistcoat and chrome headband made for him by Firth Vickers.

Can anyone rember him.

I remember Stainless Stephen very well he was on the radio very often,and as you say had a special way of introducing himself,he was a member of the Sheffield Pals in the 1914-18 war,and is in a group photograph in the recently re-published book "Sheffield City Battalion"

Nat Gonella — known nationally at one time.

This thread has not been visited for a couple of years, I hope the intrest is still around, so here goes. Anybody that read about early British jazz knows that Nat Gonella was very prominent on the scene at that time. He was considered as good as anything around, even on both sides of the Atlantic. I read somewhere that he met Louis Armstrong on one of his many visits to Europe.It was Nat that coined the phrase 'Satchel Mouth' and which eventually became 'Satchmo'

I never was a big trad jazz fan, modern jazz for me, but the name Nat Gonella rang a bell as I remember my father talking about him. It wouldn't surprise me if he did work the club circuit as a lot of these old 'names' did the clubs when they fell out of the limelight. Back in the 70's I played for Will Gaines a few times, he was getting on a bit but could still 'hoof' like a good'n. I've just watched a clip on YouTube, brought back a few memories.

Well handypandy you're right about Nat Gonella playing the clubs because although his career was on the up a bit in the late 50s, it came down again with the advent of the 'Beatles'. He'd got himself a new band called the 'New Georgians' and a recording contract, but with Beatlemania coming on the scene it all went downhill.

I think about that time he moved up to Lancashire and like you reckon, played the clubs.

Thinking about it, he must've been an inspiration to out and out jazzers back in the 30's, I mean he was almost the only game in town.

I was never a fan myself but my buddy the Solicitors clerk certainly was.