Advice for obese cat

my cat, billy is obese. i don't overfeed him and he gets lots of exercise but he just keeps getting fatter, all over it's not localised. i was recently shouted at by the vet, who gave me no ideas of how to rectify the problem so i was hoping somebody out there could help. i've alway's had cat's but i've never experienced anything like it.

Sounds like your cat goes round all his local restaurants (i.e. the neighbours!! ) for his dinner. :D I have a cat that tries that one and yes he did go through a spell of getting very overweight.

You could try putting a note on his collar "please don't feed me.. I'm fat enough!" :thumbsup:

If you really aren't overfeeding him (it's very easy to be won over by the 'you never feed me' pleading), then it's likely that he's getting fed somewhere else too, so a note on his collar is one of your first steps.

The other thing that you need to do is to weigh him properly, buy a bag of 'light' cat food and measure it out into portions very carefully (you may find a measuring cup that you can draw a line onto is handy for that). The amount you feed needs to be controlled by his actual weight, so the amount you give him will reduce over time.

Light cat food has a change in nutrients from standard food. Most of the calories in standard food come from fat and protein, with very little fibre, and the light version has lower calories with a bit of fibre added to bulk it up and make the cat feel fuller for longer (so they get full after eating and don't walk round miserable like humans on a diet sometimes feel they do). Most brands make a light version.

The real key to this is making sure that he doesn't get extras or titbits- it's the owner who needs the discipline and willpower for this to work.

Good luck.

cheers guy's, but i'm afraid he's afraid of the neighbours well he's pretty much afraid of everything a right little mummy's boy one might say and i've asked them not to feed him just incase. he's on prescription catfood because he got protien crystals in his bladder and i'm at a total loss. I have my suspicions that my well meaning (never had a pet in his life) boyfriend does fall for the "i'm so hungry" face but he denies it. i think surveilance camera's are the way to go