Introduce Yourself to the Group

Right an introduction: Most of you will already know me so no point going over the very basics.

I tend to be a fair weather walker and some of my favourite routes are out in derbyshire on disused railway lines, a favourite walk is on the monsal trail at the Buxton end, not recomended for the unfit!!!

Walks locally consist of a plod(In my case) and a pull (dog) down the road about 10 minutes to a playing field and opposite a pond and we have a wander round there before ambling home again!!

Following several very enjoyable, but impromptu (weather-inspired), walks recently, I thought I might just give another nudge in the direction of anyone who might like to receive a PM (or a text message, preferably) the next time we decide to go somewhere.

If you're in the 'pool' of 'possibles' we can give you a shout! Let me know, either via PM or by posting on here, when you're likely to be around (daytime/weekends only etc), and where you live (approx) and if you have transport or not if you'd like to be invited.

Otherwise, keep watching out for threads of walks being organised - or start your own thread!

:)

I suppose I should say "Hi" in this thread as I've posted a couple of replies in this group now. Me and the fella just like getting out into the amazing scenery Northern England has to offer. Also v fond of the Western Highlands. Looking for inspiration, motivation and walk ideas mainly. :wave:

Hi

I'm in the north-west of the city, not far from Loxley, Bradfield, Ladybower etc. I'm a bit of a novice 'stroller' rather than a serious walker, like to look and see rather than be in a hurry to finish (even though the pub would give me an incentive!), but do possess some under used boots.

Due to work commitments can only walk at weekends, I have a car and would be willing to offer lifts and I don't have a dog. Big problem, as a dog seems to be a pre-requisite for anyone who walks around here.

Favourite walks- places where no one else goes and preferably no steep hills!

Hi

Big problem, as a dog seems to be a pre-requisite for anyone who walks around here.

No problem at all! Not unless you want to join the dog-walking walks.. ;)

Otherwise, most of us don't have dogs, but just walk. And not always up steep hills, either, tho' around this area there do tend to be hills somewhere along the way.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to be included in impromptu walks (in groups that include me, obviously, I'm sure other people walk too!), otherwise I look forward to seeing your name on lists for advertised walks.

:)

Hi, thought I'd introduce myself, seeing as that's what the thread says. I'm new to Sheffield, and new to this site. Recently moved from quite a rural area with lots of places to go walking. Previously enjoyed walking on a regular basis, but have been a bit reluctant to get out since I moved here (don't get me wrong I'm by far no expert walker - like taxman, don't do hills and heights). I'm not familiar with the area, so still learning my way around, and where the best places to go walking are, feel a bit vulnerable on my own - the city is a bit of a culture shock for me. I've discovered the Rivelin Valley and the canal - but that's about it. I drag my son along with me to walk when I do get out - thank goodness he likes walking too. I'm hoping to meet some people here who share my interest. I think this group is a great idea.

Hello everyone,

My fridn Donna and I will be doing Hadrains Wall next year to raise cash for McMillan Cancer Support. There is room for a couple more - we shall be staying at B & B's en route and we expect to take a week.

Need to lots of trainging in between, so we would be up for joining a few walks from October onwards. Also, if anyone is interested we have our first fund-raiser this Saturday at BAldwins Omega - Auction and Dinner £25 PM me for details. Looks like a good group this!

Hi everybody,

I am new to this board, and new to walking. I have been looking over SF, and found this group.

I'd really like to become invloved in walking in and around Sheffield, to find out more about the area, and to meet some like-minded individuals. I am based up near the University, and I rely on public transport.

I don't really have any walking preferences, or, should I say, I'd like to gain experience of different types of walking, different areas etc.

From the discussion already going on, it seems like there is a lot of activity in this group, so I look forward to getting stuck in!

Thanks everyone,

Gideon

i've been tempted a few times to post but usually run scared of doing so.

potentially available most days except weekends - unfortunately domestic commitments take up most weekends.

can usually fit a friday walk in at any time, only restriction is time.

do need to be home before it gets dark - actually before i have to start cooking tea.

so inreality any day - 3-4 hour walks.

Hi there. I would love to join you for a good walk outdoors. Available Saturdays and sundays mostly.

Hello everybody-new-peeps! :wave:

I hope the 'weekends are free' people have noticed our cemetery and picnic day this Sunday See the thread for it. It won't be the usual march over heathery hills, but a good opportunity for newbies to break the ice and get used to some faces. :)

Hi there

I am a volunteer at BBC Radio Sheffield. We are organising walks as part of the breathing spaces campaign - check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/breathingplaces, and are looking for people who could share their knowledge of flora and fauna on a guided walk. There will be a presenter there aswell. There would be 3 dates in october and 1 in december. If anyone is interested let me know and I will pass on contact details for the producer at radio sheffield,

Many thanks,

Lucy