Introduce Yourself to the Group

Intro? OK...here goes!

I'm not super fit but I love the Peak District and walked there most weekends last year, usually 6 - 12 miles followed by a beer and sometimes a bite to eat. As well as that I 'did' the Snowdon horseshoe one bank holiday when it was busier than Meadowhall just before Christmas. Not the time or the place to go if you want to get away from it all!

I work during the week Monday to Friday, but would love to meet a small group of people to walk with at weekends. Have you ever walked in the Peaks and had to wait 4 hours for a big snake of Ramblers Association members to go over a stile before you can? That wouldn't be my cup of tea. lol

I'm female, 37, and I love nature and the countryside. When I'm out walking my camera is glued to my hand as I love to take pics of wildlife and the beautiful places I pass through. I like all animals so walking with people who have dogs would be fun although not essential, of course. I used to take out RSPCA dogs for a walk and usually landed up in the woods near Grenoside. Is that Wharncliffe Edge? I'm not sure, but I loved it all the same!

If nothing definite is arranged on here, anyone who thinks they might like to walk with me, please drop me a line. Age isn't an issue for me at all, but a good sense of humour is vital!

sarbo

I guess I have to introduce us both, as Mr Strix is an infrequent forum lurker ;)

We both enjoy some relatively serious walking - jokingly referred to by Mr Strix's colleagues as 'extreme beagling' :D

The preference is for up hill and down dale, at a steady pace, designed to put the mileage under the belt without eliciting exhaustion ;) Stops are not frequent, but are planned for the best views/shelter depending on the weather!!

We mostly wind up in Edale, but we holiday in Scotland frequently, where exploring new territory is essential, and North Wales isn't a foreign country to us ;) Mr Strix has completed the real 3 peaks.

Having said all this, we frequent Graves and Endcliffe parks, and Totley Woods, and the fields and meadows of Woodhouse. We don't seem to spend much time in Rothervalley Country Park though :confused:

A good walk isn't complete without a good dog pub to finish it off :thumbsup:

Anybody who fancies joining us is welcome to PM me, and we can take it from there ;) (sharp axes most unwelcome :suspect: )

PS - I'd fancy exploring somewhere south of here for a change, if anybody knows the territory ;)

Edit: Weekends are a favourite, but evenings are great for the shorter routes round Edale, when it's not chocker with 'weekend traffic' on the footpaths :D

I've only just realised this group is up & running (I think I was on holiday when it hit the forum) I'd just like to say hi & register my interest in joining in some of the walks :wave:

I'm fairly limited in my knowledge of the area (despite having been here for over 3.5 years now) but I'm particularly interested in walks that are reasonably easily accessible via public transport (as I don't have a car).

I have to agree with taxman when it comes to heights & edges (as walking with my eyes shut probably isn't a good idea :| )

Like xbecx I have walking boots but that's about it - I definitely prefer a steady pace. Rushing is for appointments only!

I haven't been for a good long yomp for too many months cos all my walking chums rather inconsiderately started churning out tiny offspring. So please count me in for any weekend wanderings. I'm in the "walking boots but not much else" camp. Oh and ending up in a pub is a very good thing indeed.

and the walk from Mam Tor to Win Hill must be an all time great

mmm...that is such a lovely walk :)

EDIT: I'm can walk any day until 11th September. After that I can do most Saturdays, occasional Fridays and a few random Sundays (although short Sunday walks that let me get home by 3:30 are fine anytime). Is that complicated enough?

Hi there - I am a recent arrivee in Sheffield from Cornwall and now working in Stocksbridge for the Steel Valley Project.

I am a keen walker and am now lucky enough to live on the edge of Totley well within reach of plenty of lovely peak walking - am interested in learning about new areas and meeting new people!

At the Steel Valley Project we also organise guided walks for everyone to join in - our next one is on Saturday 26th August.

It is the High Bradfield Wood and Water Wander - a guided walk around Agden and Damflask reservoirs - if anyone is interested meet at The Old Horns Inn, Bradfield at 10am. This walk is probably medium level - hoping to return to Bradfield for 3pm. Call Matt on (0114) 283 0880 for more details as I am unfortunately on holiday! I am planning one for Wharncliffe Crags in October though, also as part of Steel Valley Project.

Oh that sounds good, Beckelina. I did a special college project about the Sheffield Flood so it would have been a very interesting walk knowing the history there. Unfortunately, I've pledged myself to the Porter Valley Walk. Can't miss meeting Brudepooch!

In the past I've done a lot of walking but not so much in the last year or two. I've got stamina for length and could probably easily do the more hardcore treks, but I don't have top-notch equipment. As most of my walking was done on my own, I tended to stick to the well worn paths, river valleys, and edges. I'm not experienced over blank moorland. Partly due to cowardice of getting lost and being perished by the elements I've never even been up Kinder Scout. I'm a bit embarrassed about that.

As I'm public-transport dependent, if there were walks away from bus routes arranged (any lifts in cars would of course be petrol-money-contributed) I would delighted. But I'm happy going anywhere really.

I'm into skies, bleak moorland, heather, clouds, walking in the rain, the effort of plodding up hellish mountain-sides for the exhilaration of being on the top, seeing no-one else the whole time we're out, just looking around and seeing no sign of civilisation.

I'm fairly proficient with a compass and a map, and will happily and with great pleasure share what knowledge I have with anyone interested, but will gladly glean all the info I can from someone who knows more! (And there are many, many people out there who are far better than I, without any doubt.)

I'm not hugely big on walking at low level, parks and such like, and I have to say that I see woodland as a means to an end (are we there yet?) in order to get to the (high) bits that fill my soul with joy. :)

I'm not as fit as I used to be, and I'm not as fast as the young'uns who seem to throw themselves down over rocks and drops with nary a thought for the consequences. I'm a firm believer that a party moves at the speed of the slowest member, and indeed it's rather nice to take your time as you progress.

Due to my work-pattern, I'm around (sometimes) during the week, as well as weekends. If anyone cares to go back (via 'Edit') to their profile to give info as regards when they're likely to be available (eg, Mondays, or only weekends, or whatever) that would give an indication and encouragement as to who might be worth a quick PM on a particular day, just in case you happen to be available...... :)

If you're localish, or on the way out to where we're going, I'm very happy to pick you up and drop you off, if you're otherwise limited to public transport, so a rough location might be good too.

...If anyone cares to go back (via 'Edit') to their profile to give info as regards when they're likely to be available (eg, Mondays, or only weekends, or whatever) that would give an indication and encouragement as to who might be worth a quick PM on a particular day, just in case you happen to be available...... :)...

Good idea. I've edited mine :) .

Good idea. I've edited mine :) .

Superdoop! (just checked out that you might be able to make Fridays..)

However, Hecate, are you based elsewhere? Are you available for a walk in Sheffield on a Friday? (or any other day?)

Superdoop! (just checked out that you might be able to make Fridays..)

However, Hecate, are you based elsewhere? Are you available for a walk in Sheffield on a Friday? (or any other day?)

I am, and I think I am :) . Probably not as frequently as most though, due to the traveling. I think I have Fridays off from September so Friday afternoons would be alright, and if someone could put me up for the night I'd be up for an occasional early start on a Saturday or Sunday.

I am, and I think I am :) . Probably not as frequently as most though, due to the traveling. I think I have Fridays off from September so Friday afternoons would be alright, and if someone could put me up for the night I'd be up for an occasional early start on a Saturday or Sunday.

I'm sure something could be arranged

I'm sure something could be arranged

Yay! Is that an offer then? You're too kind :) .