Sign in to follow this  

Giving chicken bones to dogs... Dangerous or is it a myth?

Not a dog, but a mate of mine had to take his ferret to the vet as it got a splintered chicken bone stuck in its throat.

Not nice having to take a gagging animal to the vet.

Stayed with normal ferret food after.

Well my Dad used to give our dog Chicken bones all the time when I was a kid, and he was always fine with them, but I would NEVER give them to Gadget.

OK so there might only be a small chance of it splintering & choking him, but it's not worth the risk is it??

Imagine how awful you'd feel if somehing bad happened and you knew it was your fault?

A friend of mine employed a dog behaviourist to help her with a rescue dog she adopted.

He suggested feeding all her dogs raw chicken carcasses. He explained that alot of bad doggie behaviour can stem from hunger and poor nutrition and that chicken carcasses are a partciualry good way to promote health and wellbeing. It makes the actual eating far more enjoyable and helps to stem some natural behaviour that dogs have.

Not sure how true but it does seem to work for her, her dog is much less excitable and anxious as well as being calmer with her other dogs.

Helen

When we were kids we had a dog who had a bone stuck in his bowel. He was lathargic for a few days and kept doing that thing dogs do when they drag their back ends across the floor. He was not happy at all. After a trip to the vets a lodged bone was diagnosed and removed in an operation. So,I would advise against anyone giving dogs any bones apart from a big marrowbone :thumbsup:

Alot of people BARF feed their dogs, I'm thinking of changing over to this way of feeding

Have a look at this http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm - information on feeding raw food and bones etc.

What an excellent site mate thanks :thumbsup:

From the site:

NEVER, EVER FEED COOKED BONES TO YOUR PET because cooked bones WILL splinter and cause severe internal damage, possibly even death

Sorted :)