Sign in to follow this  

Dog neutering - suggestions?

I have a young male dog which I have taken on recently. He is an escape artist and likes to roam away from home (finding any escape route possible, even digging under the hedge to get away - wanderlust methinks!). Naturally I'm worried not only for his safety but for the safety of other dogs, cars, etc.

I want to get him neutered. I made enquiries with the Highfields vet and they want over £120 to do the op. That seems really over priced.

I do work so will have to pay, but object to such huge charges - I have already bought a dog cage which he objects to being in (he howls in the night when in it).

Does anyone know a cheaper source which does neutering?

when we had our dog "done" i think it was just shy of £100. It made a huge difference to him though, became very lazy.

It stopped him peeing as often as well.

this was done at Hall Court Vets in Dinnington who I cannot praise enough,

It still seems like a hell of a lot to pay. Are there any organisations who will do it for a donation? What's happening with the RSPCA - are they still active in the area?

What breed is he Buffy?

Neutering isn't the cure-all that rumour would have us believe, and that could be £100 down the drain if it's not successful in kerbing his tendency to wander.

If he has a trace of anything like an elkhound or husky, the only solution is to secure him in the garden - they are renowned for their digging skills though, and their determination to resist imprisonment :(

I hope you find a solution that works.

Re- the howling at night....

Is the cage available to him all the time, with a comfy blanket? and if you throw a blanket over his cage of a night, it makes him feel more secure, and deadens the noise he's making a bit ;)

Don't go back to him unless he's quiet, as he'll learn that making a racket is the best way to get attention

Do phone around to see what price you can get for neutering. It may not cure all his ills, but his hormones may be a factor.

i can only suggest spires vets in chesterfield i am having my dog koochi castrated there in the next couple of week as he is becoming a pain wanting to escape and howling occassionaly in the early hours of the morning:rolleyes:

and for the price of £60 i certainly dont think you can go wrong.:thumbsup:

What breed is he Buffy?

Neutering isn't the cure-all that rumour would have us believe, and that could be £100 down the drain if it's not successful in kerbing his tendency to wander.

If he has a trace of anything like an elkhound or husky, the only solution is to secure him in the garden - they are renowned for their digging skills though, and their determination to resist imprisonment :(

I hope you find a solution that works.

Re- the howling at night....

Is the cage available to him all the time, with a comfy blanket? and if you throw a blanket over his cage of a night, it makes him feel more secure, and deadens the noise he's making a bit ;)

Don't go back to him unless he's quiet, as he'll learn that making a racket is the best way to get attention

He's a border collie. The cage is always open to him with a sleeping bag in it. My other dog seems to wander in there, it's far too small for him, but he misses his old cage!

If I put a blanket over it, the collie goes mad. I left him to his howling the other night, came down to find he'd unclipped the cage at one corner and managed to drag the blanket that was over the cage inside the cage as far as it would go before it got stuck.

... I left him to his howling the other night, came down to find he'd unclipped the cage at one corner and managed to drag the blanket that was over the cage inside the cage as far as it would go before it got stuck.

:shocked: That's worrying! :shocked:

Is it safe to give dogs the 'rescue remedy' that Medusa prescribes for cats?

I'm sure somebody at dog classes has told me most of the toy breeds are given something similar if they're skittish in the show ring.

How long has he been with you and getting upset with his cage?

Is Jake roaming free whilst this protesting is going on?

Rescue remedy is safe for dogs, you can also hire a dap defuser from the vets to help to calm and settle dogs who are a bit upset and hyper.

Border collies are renowned for their high energy though, is your lad getting lots of exercise and games so that he is mentaly and physicaly tired? that should help at night times.

It also sounds a bit like he may have a degree of seperation anxiety at night, do you make a big fuss of him before you go to bed?

Hiya, Just to say, Fletcher's manly bits got chopped off yesterday at Peak Vets at Woodseats, he seemed to be very well looked after when I went to pick him up and wasn't as anxious as I thought he would be.

They charged £79, though I do have to take him for a check up in two weeks,so I don't know if they charge for that visit too.

It is all seperation anxiety I think, he wants to be with me, as in right next to me, touching me when in the house. Get him outside the house and he's off! Won't come near me or to me!

He gets plenty of exercise. He's finding ways to escape from the garden (believe me I thought the place was secure, Jack never escapes) by climbing through the hedge, digging under fencing, you name it! He's exercising himself! He'll play ball and chase the other dog around, but he's hell bent on escape routes at the moment. THat seems his only mission in life. Frustrating.