Who wants Recycle bins?

Do you support home recycle bins?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support home recycle bins?

• no
    • dont care
    • yes

I've yet to see any backyard that had difficulty fitting in a 2 foot by 2 foot bin.

Is your yard not big enough to fit that in?

Or are your pot plants more important than recycling?

Yes it would fit, and that would be 4 square feet less of yard available.

Given that the poster I was replying too was talking about 4 different repositories for waste, that would be 16 square feet of my yard gone, and they all need to be accessible as otherwise they are no use.

Maybe you like to gaze out on a row of bins from your windows, but I don't.

I'd love to have a recylcing bin of some description. I live in a maisonette which only has one big communal bin, with no provision for recycling at all. They could easily put some paper/glass/plastic etc bins in for us to use, as they would serve 12 houses in one go. As I don't have a car and the nearest recycling facilities are about a mile away it's pretty much impossible for me to recycle at the moment.

When I lived in Cambridge we had a recycling box that you could put anything but cardboard into - so glass, paper, tins, plastic etc. They then had a curbside recycling team who would come round with a special truck that had compartments in it and they would sort the rubbish into the compartments at the side of the road. Only problem was they only came round once a fortnight but the box they provided was tiny - however they did take any recycling that was placed in another box next to it. For green waste we were given brown paper sacks. You just filled them with your waste (as well as garden waste we could throw cardboard in as well) and they'd come round once a month for it - you could leave as many as you liked out and the bags were biodegradable so they could just throw them into to truck with the waste.

And the bins don't take up that much space.

Realistically, this is the same for everyone. I cannot see anything there that anyone can moan about. Unless they are just whineing for the sake of it.

How blinkered are you?!!

I consider myself to be modestly pro-actively green. I've got a corner of my garden fenced off to house THREE compost bins, as well as a soil heap, which means I don't put green waste into refuse landfill.

When we extended the house some ten+ years ago, I designed in a large "bin space" by the drive to accomodate the then small tin bin and the boxes I'd bought to hold glass for recycling. That space, with difficulty, now holds the huge black wheely refuse bin, a smaller blue paper bin, and my glass boxes (which are still not subject to a local authority scheme).

I happen to consider myself quite fortunate to have enough real estate to accomodate the above and am very aware that this is not the case for everyone (nor myself at any previous addresses).

I've yet to see any backyard that had difficulty fitting in a 2 foot by 2 foot bin.

Is your yard not big enough to fit that in?

What I don't have is simple access from the road to the rear garden, not do I see any health-aware reason to have smelly bins close to where we sit and eat.

I'm well and truly p'd off that the (Sheffield) council can't devise an overall recycling collection system to include glass and plastic without needing huge receptacles that are simply not compatible with the space available to a typical home.

I'd love to have brown paper sacks into which any recyclable dry material could go.

:rant:

Yes it would fit, and that would be 4 square feet less of yard available.

Given that the poster I was replying too was talking about 4 different repositories for waste, that would be 16 square feet of my yard gone, and they all need to be accessible as otherwise they are no use.

Maybe you like to gaze out on a row of bins from your windows, but I don't.

So its vanity that matters more than recycling?

How shallow are you!

How blinkered are you?!!

I consider myself to be modestly pro-actively green. I've got a corner of my garden fenced off to house THREE compost bins, as well as a soil heap, which means I don't put green waste into refuse landfill.

When we extended the house some ten+ years ago, I designed in a large "bin space" by the drive to accomodate the then small tin bin and the boxes I'd bought to hold glass for recycling. That space, with difficulty, now holds the huge black wheely refuse bin, a smaller blue paper bin, and my glass boxes (which are still not subject to a local authority scheme).

I happen to consider myself quite fortunate to have enough real estate to accomodate the above and am very aware that this is not the case for everyone (nor myself at any previous addresses).

What I don't have is simple access from the road to the rear garden, not do I see any health-aware reason to have smelly bins close to where we sit and eat.

I'm well and truly p'd off that the (Sheffield) council can't devise an overall recycling collection system to include glass and plastic without needing huge receptacles that are simply not compatible with the space available to a typical home.

I'd love to have brown paper sacks into which any recyclable dry material could go.

:rant:

Once again..

So not wanting to sit near your bin (because it's so disgusting in that it contains..oh..your waste) and having it sat at the front of your house is more important than recycling.

Shallow.

Once again..

So not wanting to sit near your bin (because it's so disgusting in that it contains..oh..your waste) and having it sat at the front of your house is more important than recycling.

Shallow.

vanity has nothing to do with it.

consider this Sidebottom:

> the council decide to issue a compulsary purchase order on EVERY house on your street EXCEPT YOURS.

> they then nock everyhouse down, leaving yours standing

> they then build a large recycling plant on the reclaimed land

> they designate the delivary area, where all the lorries pull up and dump the waste, right next to your back garden

- question - would you be happy with that?

- it's good for the overall environment!

vanity has nothing to do with it.

consider this Sidebottom:

> the council decide to issue a compulsary purchase order on EVERY house on your street EXCEPT YOURS.

> they then nock everyhouse down, leaving yours standing

> they then build a large recycling plant on the reclaimed land

> they designate the delivary area, where all the lorries pull up and dump the waste, right next to your back garden

- question - would you be happy with that?

- it's good for the overall environment!

Everything in perspective.

We are talking about a couple of bins, taking floor space up of 4 sq foot each.

Stubborness is born of ignorance.

if you don't want a green bin why not make a compost heap ... save yourself some money on expensive compost

Mod note: Language is getting a bit heated on this thread. It isn't acceptable to insult another user if you don't agree with their opinion- please bear that in mind when you post.

.... and having it sat at the front of your house is more important than recycling.

Shallow.

What in my post gave to you infer that I don't consider recycling important?!!

I quite clearly stated that I have compost bins and glass recycling bins, which are purely voluntary, in addition to the mandatory paper bin.

I berated the council for NOT having an adequate policy to include domestic collection of plastic and glass.

I stated that I would be happy to have eco-friendly paper containers for recyclable materials.

You might consider the smell of dustbins in summer to be an acceptable patio odour, I disagree. If this is a definition of shallow, I'll embrace the "insult".:cool:

Everything in perspective.

We are talking about a couple of bins, taking floor space up of 4 sq foot each.

Stubborness is born of ignorance.

and you are ignorant of the size of my yard, so stop being so stubborn.

I'm from Nottinghamshire so im familiar with the recycling scheme there (1 bin household waste, 1 bin - plastics, card/paper, tins, blue crate for glass) It works! For big famillies and little. I'd definitley welcome this sort of thing in sheffield.

i live in a flat, have little room for storing recycling stuff but still dedicate a whole kitchen cupboard to storing recycling rubbish (and its a small kitchen), i make the trip to tescos when i go do my shopping (and today when i went had to leave all my non-glass stuff in the car as the recycling point was an absolute dump and overflowing...but thats another matter.. Also come home to find that a neighbour who shares my bin as we only have one between 2/3 flats(!) has dumped 2 of his bin liners in 2 bins so they can't shut and i mean they are wide open...idiot, also noticed him or someone else had stuffed a load of newspapers down the side when we have bins for card/paper.) Some people are just pure lazy and this is why they reject such schemes generally, because they cant be arsed to do something different, to walk round the corner to another bin. They probably wont empty the bins tomorrow because of him and his lazyness but to be honest it doesn't really bother me as we have little waste due to recycling. Sorry rant over.