I'd like a pet...but what?

I would definately recommend a rat. I owned a Hymalian Wex Rat. He was a brown hooded male with curly wiskers. Very clever animals and he was soooo affectionate. They are very clean unlike Hamsters who poo in their beds! they will even use a litter tray (mini... top off a coffee jar etc). I used bottoms from cereal boxes for his bed so they could be thrown away after a week. You can get really big cages and put up pieces of rope for them to climb up. You can train them to fetch things. A Great all round pet. I used to let him out regularly but he would sometimes annoy the dog too much by sleeping under his tummy with him not knowing. :hihi:

Oooops I didn't realise pets were for non-smokers only!

Perhaps I will look into getting a rat though I really didn't want a rodent, I am being gently pulled by the option of a turtle though - it can plod around rooms and sit quietly and be viewed.

Anyone ever had a turtle and wish to pass on advice?

At my daughters kindergarten they have just been given 2 chinchilla's. I have never really thought of having them as pets before but they are the cutest things I have seen for ages. Sooooo soft :love:

Oooops I didn't realise pets were for non-smokers only!

Perhaps I will look into getting a rat though I really didn't want a rodent, I am being gently pulled by the option of a turtle though - it can plod around rooms and sit quietly and be viewed.

Anyone ever had a turtle and wish to pass on advice?

I didn't say that, I said in my opinion it wasn't fair to keep a pet soley in a smokey environment.

If you're thinking about getting a rat then I would suggest getting 2 as they can get lonley if they are kept on their own. They need lots of cuddling and out time (http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community) has more info if you're interested. Girls are generally more bouncy than boys, boys prefer to lounge about and chill as a rule.

Perhaps I will look into getting a rat though I really didn't want a rodent,

If you are not keen on the idea of rodents then (I'm guessing here!) you will either be converted to loving them :love: by owning a rat or your pet(s) would not get the attention they need and would miss having.

Rats embody everything about rodents that people tend not to like (hairless long tails, pointy face, teeth)...maybe worth seeing if anyone you know has some adults you could visit to gauge your feelings towards them?

Also, rats are sociable animals. If you decide on going for a rat then 2 is better (same sex obviously, or you will quickly have loads!).

Yeah, I'm not completely ignorant, selfish or down right cruel to leave a pet locked up in essentially an ashtray!

We have recently added a rat to the family and she is lovely..:)

Yeah, I'm not completely ignorant, selfish or down right cruel to leave a pet locked up in essentially an ashtray!

Sorry I didn't mean to give that impression...just coming at it from concern for the animals when have already said you didn't want a rodent.

Hmm rats - I'll seriously consider it thanks to everyone who suggested lil 'friends'.

I'll also keep my eyes peeled for anything non-rodent like lol - but will seek current rat owners to pick their brains so to speak and play with a 'try before you buy' approach :)

Before anyone sends the RSPCA after me - smoking generally takes place in one room of the house, and never without at least one window fully open - yes even in the winter!

if you want to 'pick my brains' ;) feel free to PM me...maybe my little fellas will help convince you either way!

(how much inuendo can you get from that sentence? or is that just me? ;) )

I have to say that rabbits make some of the best and most interesting pets provided they are cared for properly. I currently have five adults and a litter and watching them interact with eachother as well as me is fantastic. They are also incredibly good house pets and can be trained with more ease than a dog!

That said it depends upon how much time and energy you have to commit to a rabbit. I spend much of my spare time with mine.