Sign in to follow this  

My cat is decorating the carpet -help

Robin is about 15 (she is a rescue so I am not certain of her age). She was always quite a clean cat and preferred to use the cat tray rather than dirty her paws outside. Lately however, she has started to defaecate on the carpet. It is not even in a quiet place and today was really ill chosen - she did it while my husband was watching TV! The tray is freshly cleaned but she did not even go to look. We did wonder if she was getting the %$*& scared out of her by Mozart, who she hates. However Mozie is not well himself and spends most of his time on my bed so he is innocent! We also wondered if she was getting caught short.

In every other way Robin is quite healthy, has a good appetite and is about as active as your average elderly housecat. The area has been washed, disinfected, cleaned with biological stuff, sprayed with cat repellent, sprinkled with black pepper, everything in short that I can think of but all that happens is that she goes somewhere else.

Any ideas before my husband turns her into a pair of fur gloves?

Worth a trip to the vet for a start to get her checked out. Otherwise has anything changed recently in the house?

To combat it try placing her food bowls in the spot(s) where she is defaecating - cats won't poo where they eat. Another tip is to clean up using a lemon carpet friendly disinfectant as cats don't like lemon. I'm sure others will offer help also. Good luck and hope that she get's back to her good ways.

There's a couple of other threads on here from people with the same problem Parcher - have a look, and we'll merge them in a couple of days ;)