Biggest or main river in Sheffield?

look didn't mean to get anybody all upset about it. And i'm not the Doc but his Mrs.

Me and the Doc have been having discussions about Sheffield and its plans to regenerate itself and I guess i'm just a little frustrated.

I do have a lot of critisisms about this place ( NOTE I SAID PLACE NOT PEOPLE SO YOU ALL CAN JUST CALM DOWN), because even though it is really trying to move itself forward i think mistakes are being made, that will do the city no favours.

For example West one development looks dated already.

Sheffield is a really ugly city, and I have been round enough of Britain to say this with authourity. Therefore any new buliding work should try and make up for this fact by being really outstanding, yet all i see are reallly mediocre ones going up that people will be complaing about in 20 years time.

Most citys that claim to have rivers have ones that are impressive,

and have big bridges spanning over them.

River Clyde , now thats a river, just like the Thames.

And when crossing Brooklyn bridge and the Golden gate I was left in no doubt that iwas crossing a river.

Well until i read this thread I didn't even know there was one in this city,so ....................

Sorry Mrs Doctor Feelgood.

You must have noticed that Sheffield is a bit hilly, with narrow valleys, so the rivers are not going to be very wide. In addition, most of Sheffield's rivers start inside or close by the city and so haven't had chance to grow very big. By the time the Don leaves us on its way to Rotherham, it is indeed quite small when compared to the Thames or the Severn or the Mississipi. It eventually flows into the Humber where there is a big bridge which is a tad bigger than the one in Brooklyn.

If you like the Brooklyn bridge, you might be interested to know that parts for it were made in Sheffield and a small scale version of it is to be built across the Don near Kelham Island.

When you were crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, you were not crossing a river. You were crossing the narrowest part of San Francisco Bay - at least I thought that's what I was doing on the several occasions I have used it.

I think that your choice of words was very unfortunate, especially as you now say that you weren't even aware of the River Don until you read this thread. So why describe it as a dirty canal? - Gratuitously insulting when you consider the efforts that many organisations have put in to improve its quality since the heavy industry faded away.

As for your points about care being taken in the re-development of the city, I agree. Some unfortunate decisions have been made over the years and several unfortunate structures have been built. There are however some good ones too, but not enough yet.

Thankyou for your very informative post, and now i know why the river is not so wide.

However i really didn't mean to insult so much. But like I said I was a bit miffed. When i saw the photo that you posted, it reminded me of a canal in Glasgow, that i used to walk along when i was a kid and it was a bit dirty too.

Being born in Glasgow i have always been aware of the river, and having played such a big part in the city am very proud of it.

Have spent many lovely days walking along its banks and even taking boat trips on it, so that why i was surprised that a river exisited in Sheffield. Naturally started making comparisons , and that was wrong.

To be honest I only just found out after reading this thread that what I always believed to be the Porter Brook is actually the Sheaf. I always walk alongside the river on my way to the Broadfield pub in Nether Edge, and I presumed it to be the Brook because I imagined the Sheaf to be bigger.

Oh, come on! We haven't got any rivers. These are just streams.