Sign in to follow this  

Close shaves and oh-my-god moments...

I know I did one similar on General Chit Chat, but I think we should have our own here. For those moments when you do something that in hindsight is so outrageously stupid that you consider hanging up your apron strings for good and resigning as a parent before you really do some serious harm.

Thing is, we've all done something stupid (and some of us continue time after time, lol) so when you've stilled your beating heart and all the screams have subsided, take a deep breath and come here to remind yourself that you're not alone...parenting eats brain cells, it's a known fact, and we all mess up - some more hysterically and some more spectacularly than others...

And guess what! I had my own special oh-my-god moment this very morning, and am still recovering:rolleyes: ...

Our dog (see avatar) is a HERO!!! (there is a school of thought that in fact she was the instigator, trying to make herself look good, or get rid of the competition, but I maintain she was looking after her meal ticket because she grudgingly loves him).

This morning I did a very, very stupid, idiotic, moronic thing...I ran upstairs 'for a split second', and didn't close the baby gate properly. Cue a sudden adventurous, 'let's go mountain climbing' moment from the cosycub, who at 15 months, decided it was time to scale the steep Victorian stairs on his very own.

I was alerted by a warning bark from our dog (part collie, so a very good communicator, lol) and I popped my head out of our room to see cosycub climbing at great speed up the stairs on his hands and knees, with an extremely worried-looking Naya RIGHT behind him, bless her. I got the impression that if he wasn't so extremely large a baby, she'd have scruffed him by the neck and hoiked him back down the stairs, lol.

To my credit (and I deserve none, I know, cos I left the gate open in the first place) I did not scream. I did not cry out. I did not drop dead in fright. I sped down trying to look not at all panicked and scooped him up before he could somersault all the way back down.

THEN I had a heart attack.

Someone slap me. I am an idiot. But will I EVER leave the bl**dy gate open again? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Easily done, nothing bad happened, don't be so hard on yourself. :)

You are only human - a split second is something we all do - at least you didn't leave the front door open. Doggie did good - deserves a treat :) and don't be so hard on yourself!

Thanks, you two, I appreciate that.

But what I really need, are incidents of people who did even more appalling things so that I can sit back and say 'well, at least I never did THAT'...:D:P

Lol!

Hugs to you all

I will never foget the first day after we got our double glazing installed and a nice shiney new door, i went out to work as normal at 7am, my 2 1/2 year old son was in the living room watching tv, next thing the missus knew as she got out of the shower was someone knocking on the door returning our son who was out on the road, the little blighter had only sussed out how to open the door and toddled out in his jammies!!!, needless to say, i now lock the front door when i leave in a morning after that heart attack!!!!

Well there was the time a long time ago when I was walking to my house along a shortcut and I heard a noise and felt something fly past my ear and then thought nothing of it. The next thing my neighbour bolted out of his front door asking my mother if I was ok and apologising profusley for taking aim at a crow out of his window with the shotgun when just as I walked into view he pulled the trigger :)

I once trapped Scoop junior's finger in the boot of the car (he was about one at the time). I was stood wondering why on earth he had suddenly started howling, when Mr Scoop shouted "OPEN THE BLOODY BOOT". I then realised my error.

Luckily when I opened the boot Scoop jr's fingers were still attatched to his hand, and my intense guilt lasted longer than the horrid bruises on his lovely little fingers.

I'm not a parent but i'll tell you what my mum did to me on my 10th birthday - she only ran over my bloody foot with the car. We got back in the car from somewhere, she was pulling up on the drive when we noticed the rabbit on the front garden (not back garden where the rabbit lived, she'd escaped and was heading towards the street) so i said i'll get her. Mum had stopped the car about halfway on the drive at this point, i took seatbelt off, opened door got out just about to shut door when the car started moving again with my foot underneath, i obviously screamed and she turned round in the car to see why?!! So during this time the car was stopped on my foot! So i spent about 5 hours on my bday in casualty waiting to see if it was broken...it wasn't. But anyway i'd say that was a pretty daft thing to do.

when I bought a new car earlier this year (this will blow my "I'm a sensible scooby owner" post out of the water) my 3 year old stuck his hand up my big bore exhaust saying "what's in this hole mummy?" Before I could stop him, he yanked his hand out saying "oooh hot". :o

Whilst I was on the phone I didnt know that the back door hadnt been closed properly, and a nearly crawling 8 month old became a fully fledged crawler and crawled out the door sustaining a graze to the temple. Fortunately we dont have a step just a 2inch threshold thingy so it wasnt far to fall. But I felt awful until the scab fell off!

The other one was downright stupid, not anyone in particulars fault. We were cooking, our 3 and a half year old had been repeatedly told not to touch the cooker from an early age. For some reason he decided to test the metal strip around the front electric ring to see how hot it got. We both yelled no at him but he had done it before we could stop him. He hasnt shown any further interest in the cooker!

Doors seem pretty lethal don't they. When my eldest was about 15 months old, we visited mum and dad. They have a patio door and Ross had spent half the winter with his nose pressed up to it, looking out. This particular day the patio door was open, and he went to put his hands on it and fell face first out before any of us could even shout. He had a massive cob on his head but thankfully no real harm done.

Lol, that's a cracker! :hihi:

Reminded me of when we first got our dog, I was playing with her getting her to fetch a toy I was throwing into the garden, back into the house. I then decided it was too cold in the house so went into the garden with her to play and shut the patio door behind me. Well you can guess what happened next... poor thing, she seemed quite bemused - until she did it again 2 mins later! :hihi: