Sorby Hall Of Residence

Hello

Does anybody know any details of the demolition of Sorby Hall on the 27th August?

I lived there as a student and hated it - I'd love to watch it come down. Apparently the area is being regenerated to be more in keeping with the leafy surroundings.

Sheffield University can't release any details as this isn't a public event, but I'd like to watch from a safe distance.

Are any users living in Endcliffe/surrounding areas affected by this?

I'll be really sad to see it go. I was a student there too and it might be grim to look at but I had amazing views out over the Peak District from my room on the 8th floor.

Having all the accomodation in one block meant you could wander down to the bar in your slippers as well ;)

If the University won't release details, you could try contacting the council and asking about the demolition. I am sure they'll have the details.

Are they going to detonate something or is it all just a knock down / dismantle thing?

If you do find anything out, post it on here.

If you do find anything out, post it on here.

Never heard of Sorby Hall so went looking on Sheffield Picture.com and found this...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s21618

..the only photo they seem to have.

Looks a bit like a run-down student hostel(ry) overdue for demolition :hihi:

Hey Wildstar, did you used to go to breakfast in your jim-jams as well? We sometimes did - meant you could go back to bed afterwards and in effect get a lie in and not miss breakfast :)

Not a great place to look at, but I have some very fond (if hazy) memories of Sorby. I met what are some of my best and closest friends there all the way back in 1989, and we are still in regular contact, even though we are scattered all over the UK and other countries. RIP Sorby!

Never heard of Sorby Hall so went looking on Sheffield Picture.com and found this...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s21618

..the only photo they seem to have.

Looks a bit like a run-down student hostel(ry) overdue for demolition :hihi:

Er no. It's a 1960's block in Endcliffe area - you knew that didn'tya! I spoke to the bloke on the site gate and he said it was being 'blown down' in the first week of September. I'd like to see it go if we can get a definite date.

Yes, I'd like to go to say goodbye to the old place, as it goes up in a cloud of dust. Let's keep our eyes open for more details.

Is it being knocked down in just one day? I read somewhere that there is asbestos in the roof, so they have to dismantle it gradually over a long time. If it is just on Sun Aug 27th I'd like to see it, as I lived on Sorby D Floor in 1998/99 for my first year at uni.

its got to go to make room for the new hub thats being built where the students will eat from about easter time .Nearly all halls of residence are coming down earnshaw has nearly all gone its going to be a new student village

According to last Saturdays Sheffield Telegraph it's being blown up on Sunday August 27 at noon.

Hey Wildstar, did you used to go to breakfast in your jim-jams as well? We sometimes did - meant you could go back to bed afterwards and in effect get a lie in and not miss breakfast :)

He he, I didn't personally but here were plenty that did!

I was on I floor in '94/'95 and met my best friends during that time. The building is as ugly as sin but living like that forged friendships in the face of adversity!