Old Sheffield restaurants

Does anyone remember or go to the Silver palce resturant on london road in the early 80s it was next door to tiffanys.above the shops.I was the dj there for quite a few years on Thurs Fri and sat.(it was called the China gardens before that).Janet was the manageress and her mother Dora worked behind the bar.

Does anyone know what happened to Janet?,cant remember her last nane.

I surmise that is the same Mr.Hopkinson who owned the Zing Vaa?

I never got over seeing him, a Chinese man called Hopkinson!

I belive that some foreigners take/took "English" pseudonyms to help their native customers. Richard at the Curry Centre was one.

I presume it was also to avoid the embarrassment of the English meeting a foreign name and asking if Mohammed was a surname or Christian name.

[THe Restaraunt under the News Theatre was called THE QUEENS and it was owned by a Greek Cypriot family called GABRIELIDIS and they lived on STAFFORD RD just at the bottom of City Rd and they also had another house next to theirs which was let of into flats ( I had one ) they called themselves GABRIEL and they went back to Cyprus quite a few years ago. My wife worked at the Queens for a while as did a mate of mine called Harry Colley who came of Stonecliffe Rd.

Hi Lazarus, I've just seen your posting about The Queens Restaurant, I also worked there with Mr Gabriel and his son George. My late husband Tom was the chef there. This was about 1965-67.

I remember The Coach House on the wicker my friend Marc was the dj there for years, the disco was underneath the restaurent in the basement. the owner now has the Venus at Dinnington still a very good place to eat.

I worked as the dj for a time at the Silver Palace on London road great English and chinees food.

Also worked at scoffers on west street for private parties also served good food.(a full thread about Scoffers is on here somewhere.)

What about Butlers, opposite Jessops Hospital.

OK, not a Restaurant in the "going out for an evening meal" sense. Just good simple food for breakfast or lunch.

the indus in attercliffe is very good its been their some years, straight after the fitzalan sq indus closed down, i think its the same family. lovely food an service.

the indus in attercliffe is very good its been their some years, straight after the fitzalan sq indus closed down, i think its the same family. lovely food an service.

hiya there was also one on the moor called the zing vah, another at the side of highfield library, another opposite woolworths side entrance i think the golden dragon, the owner of the one at highfields lived on mitchell st tower block flats he lived on the first floor the same floor as my gran in 1961/2.

I have a teaspoon with Gambit Cafe inscribed on the end of the handle and with various hallmarks on the reverse. It was most likely pilfered by an acquaintance of my mother-in-law or father-in law in the 1940's since they had associations with Sheffield during the war. They are both now deceased so cannot be prosecuted! Being a southerner (from Guildford, Surrey) and not knowing much about Sheffield I do not know what to do with the teaspoon - other than to use it to stir my tea! Any suggestions what to do with my spoon?

There used to be a fish & chip restaurant at the back of the Moor - Hopkinson's Capri Restaurant - I think this later became Top Wok near Fox Furriers.

i used to work there with john hopkinson who was the owners son, mr hopkinson was not chinese he was a very well mannered soft spoken english gent who had a part ownership in the zing vaa on the moor, we used to go there for our christmas do.

Bebek Kebab House. The first Kebab shop...well it was actually a restaurant. Plates, tables, cutlery,tablecloths and a menu.

Situated on Norfolk Row in what is now the Charity shop opposite the nesagents.

The picture house in Fitzalan Square was the News Theatre at first, don't know if it was renamed at a later date

After the News Theatre it was the Cartoon Cinema and then The Classic

I remember the Indus next to the Classic and, just round the corner was the Gambit Chinese restaurant. Plus a couple have mentioned the old Wimpy, if memory serves they became Burger King.

Edited by Bypassblade