Old Sheffield restaurants

The picture house in Fitzalan Square was the News Theatre at first, don't know if it was renamed at a later date

It was a News Theatre, then The Electra Palace (or vice versa) then it became the Classic.... then it got burnt down, about 20 yrs ago. 1985/6 -ish IIRC (not entirely sure if it was in the same fire as destroyed wigfalls, next door, or a seperate fire from the restaurant underneath)

The Islamabad on Attercliffe didn't supply cutlery so you ate it in the traditional way using chunks of naan or pitta bread. You could bring your own booze too which made it a really cheap night out. Top food too.

The lino nailed to the tables will stay forever with me!!!

Wasn't the original question: which was the first INDIAN restaurant in Sheffield? There hasn't been a proper answer has there?

I remember the Ashoka (probably spelt it wrong) on Ecclesall Road as the first Indian restaurant that I went to, it's probably got a shout as being the first.

I remember the Ashoka (probably spelt it wrong) on Ecclesall Road as the first Indian restaurant that I went to, it's probably got a shout as being the first.

I'd put my money on the Indus in Fitzalan Sq. as being the first Indian. On a previous post, somebody mentioned the Oriental on Langsett Road. I remember it well, not very clean if I remember correctly, but it was one of a few ethnic restaurants about in the 60's, so choice was limited. The Slammer stands out more than anything to me!

The lino nailed to the tables will stay forever with me!!!

They didn't need a menu, all you needed to do was point to a stain on the table cloth and say "one of those please".:hihi:

They didn't need a menu, all you needed to do was point to a stain on the table cloth and say "one of those please".:hihi:

Or indeed on the side of the toilet bowl .... I can tell you were there!!!

The Islamabad at atercliffe, owned and run by Sofi and had the Star restaurant close by

You mean The Golden Tiger mikey, not sure what they call it these days, with reference to Ian Barkers post, they too used to do a dish with a fried egg on top, the House Special if I remember correct, anyone remember The Curry Centre on London Road, I think that has gone or changed aswell.

I remember The Curry Centre, and that Chinese next to Highfields Library. I used to go in the chink every Saturday lunchtime for their ''special'', it was only about 40p, if that.

The Question was INDIAN RESTAURANT and SPRITE is right by saying the ORIENTAL on Langsett rd. I went there with friends when I was 17 in 1962 and it had been open during the 1950s.......so there!!!!

Can anyone remember the 'Golden egg' which used to be on Fargate?

The Gambit. It was underneath where Jessops photoshop is now I think. Best special Fu Yung ever. Also there was Davies and the Clock. My nan used to take me there on the days I had to go to the childrens hospital for my 3 monthly check-up. I had more chinkies then than I do now!!!

Can't quite place where Jessops is, precisely, but The Gambit was definitely on the left going down Commercial Street, quite close to what were the Gas Offices.

Not being a lover of Eastern food, I never went in this particular restaurant but there was an Indian restaurant on Convent Walk, run by a delightful gentleman whose name was Prittish (?) about 1970.

"Davies" ? I think you may mean Davy's which was on Fargate but I'm sure that wasn't an 'Indian' - more like the old Bewleys in Dublin - afternoon teas/coffee and cakes?

* I have just done a 'search' - as I'd mentioned this a couple of years ago - The Himalayas - was the restaurant! Is it Cavendish St/Convent Walk? People who'd been, liked it!

Omg, this is bringing back some memories. I remember Wimpey. Wimpey was here before McDonald, wasn't it ? All I can remember is some kind of bean burger they used to serve.

Tuckwood rings a bell, but I can't picture it somehow.

Tuckwoods was on the left hand side of Surrey Street, heading towards the library, near the Montgomery Theatre. Time flies but I can remember some of the Halle orchestra players going there and snooker officials from the Crucible. Can't say what year it disappeared but I know my best pal was very sorry to lose his regular Friday dining venue?