Old Sheffield restaurants

Was not the 'Rickshaw' that was on Division Street the first Chinese?

Anybody remember Tuckwoods on Surrey Street?

Yes i went to Tuckwoods a few times. Old fashioned service i seem to remember. The food wasn't bad though and the prices were reasonable.

I remember the Mustard Seed coffee bar gosh that take me back, it was the place to be seen! Also the Wimpy with the knives with red plastic handles which bent when you tried to cut anything with them. Then there was the Golden Egg (Fargate?). Davies Cafe which was in a building where the CO-op is now across from Castle Markets, used to meet my Dad who went there everyday for lunch from the YEB offices where Ponds Forge is now. Loved the memories of the Venus Steak House Menu. My first job in catering was at Dore Grill (circa 76?). Sooooo posh then. Prawn Cocktail, Steak Diane, Gateau...............funny thing is the menu is still exactly the same.

Anyone go to the Chinese in Hillsborough, on Holme Lane near to Langsett or was it Middlewood Rd traffic lights? Opened about 1961 I think. I think its name had something to do with a flower. It may be still there. Was it the Mayflower?

Anyone go to the Chinese in Hillsborough, on Holme Lane near to Langsett or was it Middlewood Rd traffic lights? Opened about 1961 I think. I think its name had something to do with a flower. It may be still there. Was it the Mayflower?

If you mean the one over the shops at Hillsborough Corner, it was "The Bluebird". The building was demolished to make way for Supertram. The Bluebird was one of a group of three Chinese restaurants, other two were The Canary on Charles Street, and The Peacock in the Wicker (the best).

Does anyone remember the restaurant on the top floor of the old Co-Op building at the bottom of the London Road where Safeway is now? My mother used to take me and brother there every Christmas after seeing Santa's Grotto on the bottom floor, because I was told later on in life, that it was cheap! What I always remember about the restaurant was the deco, where it had the purple glittery columns and the old styled elevator with the lift attendant. From what I can remember, the whole interior was dark and gloomy. But when-ever we went, which would have been the last week before Christmas, on a Saturday lunch time towards the end of the 70's early 80's, it was always dead! :| [/b]

I remember the restaurant well as my mother use to take me there on a regular basis. People use to take their own Hendersons Relish when it was meat and potato pie day. I think the meat and potato pie cost 2/6. It was also a popular venue for wedding receptions - bit different from what they want today as a venue.

Was there a restaurant near Coles called the Venus Steak House?

Yes there was, but I have no idea when it closed. I think it was in the eighties when it was in business

Anybody remember the name of the Greek restaurant in Fitzallan Sq.?

It was by the side of the pictures, come to think of it, what did they use to call the picture house?:confused:

The picture house in Fitzalan Square was the News Theatre at first, don't know if it was renamed at a later date

We used to eat at what I believe was the first indian restaurant in Shef. that was on one of the back streets behind the Locarno, but I can't remember it's name. One of the guys there used to give a big smile (which showed his gold tooth) when we were sitting down stairs and ordered a VERY hot curry; when tasted it took the top of your head clean off! I never knew at the time, but somebody told me later that upstairs it doubled as a knocking shop.......

Omg, this is bringing back some memories. I remember Wimpey. Wimpey was here before McDonald, wasn't it ? All I can remember is some kind of bean burger they used to serve.

Tuckwood rings a bell, but I can't picture it somehow.

It's before I was old enough to eat out but wasn't the Indus the first Indian and wasn't it somewhere on Ecclesall Road near Ward's Brewery? It was demolished during a road widening programme I think

Yes there was, but I have no idea when it closed. I think it was in the eighties when it was in business

the restaurant is still there, it's a chinese restaurant now IIRC, above Nobles' Amusements, opposite streetwise sports (was SUGGS Sports)

Bago:- Tuckwoods was on Surrey street, opposite the Town Hall, on that victorian row of shops.