Old Sheffield restaurants

I think the 'Indus' in Fitzalan Square had to be one of the first Indian restaurants in Sheffield. I recall an Indian (name I never knew)one being on Attercliffe Common across from the old Pavilion Cinema near Leigh Street and that was there in 1958.

Are you on about the Islamabad restaurant? It was located bang opposite where the new Attercliffe police station is now.

Are you on about the Islamabad restaurant? It was located bang opposite where the new Attercliffe police station is now.

Thank you mafya, as I say I don't recall the name of the place and I'm sure it was further east towards Leigh Street from Whitworth Lane (Police station). However place long gone now and I'm talking 1958 and I was eleven ! The site that you are referring to was between Newark Street and Frank Place only yards from where I thought, so you might be right.

Edited by stpetre
Spell

I used to work at Davey's many moons ago. There were several floors with differing service. The top floor was ultra posh the next was silver service and the ground floor was self service and downstairs was a grill. I worked in the self service and we were allowed lunch and that was my 1st ever taste of tomato sausage ( still love it now! ). they used to serve it with a pool of fresh tomato sauce and the pork sausage with apple sauce! classy place.

My Grandma was a cook there,if it's the same one,didn't they get done for selling Horse meat. My uncle owned Fredricks Pork butchers, best tomato sausage ever

uncle sams is still there but Yankees is closing I believe. perhaps someone will correct me.

Does anyone remember a restaurant in woodseats called nameless in the late 80s it was next door to the big tree pub on chesterfield rd ,behind the shops you drove in and they did valet car parking even for my old capri , it was pretty cheap and if there was a birthday all the waiters would stand around the table and sing in there italian accents ,cheap but good fun

If i remember right it used to be called Medio,s pre 80s with car valet service everything was in black and white.One of the favorites was a scewer of meat attatched to the table,and if someone had a birthday they turned all the lights off brought a cake with sparklers and all the waiters stood round the table singing happy birthday.Great days:P

If i remember right it used to be called Medio,s pre 80s with car valet service everything was in black and white.One of the favorites was a scewer of meat attatched to the table,and if someone had a birthday they turned all the lights off brought a cake with sparklers and all the waiters stood round the table singing happy birthday.Great days:P

I remember having a meal in there in its first week. They were certainly out to make an impression. The number of waiters just walking around the tables was unbelievable and there were dozens of yucca plants all over the place.

Not really a restaurant but seeing as we are in Woodseats - does anyone remember 765 a coffee bar on the opposite of the road to Medios? Maybe in between the Chantry and the Woodseats Hotel.

i remember medios very well, was fairly high end for woodseats back then, it became a chinese reastaurant later on, i also remember going to the nameless restaurant which i am almost sure was on the topend of cambridge street opposite coles.

i remember medios very well, was fairly high end for woodseats back then, it became a chinese reastaurant later on, i also remember going to the nameless restaurant which i am almost sure was on the topend of cambridge street opposite coles.

maybe wrong , but I thought the nameless was on the lane behind The Mulberry Tavern . The only reason I remember this is because an old mate of mine in a drunken stupor thought it was called Nammellis

Does anyone remember Just Cooking on Carver Street between 1978 and 1989? John and Brian were the owners.

On 10/9/2007 at 6:45 PM, arrodbo said:

The Question was INDIAN RESTAURANT and SPRITE is right by saying the ORIENTAL on Langsett rd. I went there with friends when I was 17 in 1962 and it had been open during the 1950s.......so there!!!!

My grandad talks about an Indian restaurant on London Road, late 40s,im sure he said it was in a shoe box, later moving to a hole in the road nearby. So there. 

On 3/23/2017 at 10:33 PM, Jim Hardie said:

Wasn't it on Ecclesall Road?

Correction. You're right, it was Barton's on Glossop Road.

Had giant pizza's