Old Sheffield restaurants

Does anyone remember one of the first indian restaurants to open in sheffield?

It was called "the canary" I believe it was at the bottom of cambridge st(just past cole brothers) I can't think of an indian restaurant in the city centre that was open before this one.

I always thought the first one was the one in Fitzalan Sq, at the side of the old pictures, you used to go downstairs to it, can not remember the name, it was pretty poor compared to todays standard.

What year you talking anyway for The Canary?

You mean the indus

I remember once(in the late seventies)on entering this establishment I was nearly knocked over by a group of men "doing a runner"not far behind them was a rather irate indian chap bransishing a meat cleaver!!

I heard the canary was there in the mid to late sixties.this was off a work mate,as I was only I child then,so I have no memory of it.

Yes

You are spot on the Canary was the first Restaurant in sheffield, but chinese, not indian.

We used to go drinking up West Street in the late 60's and fall in there for Chicken Chop Suey, and in them days it came with a fried egg on the top.

Cost around 10 bob (50 pence ) today.

HAPPY DAYS

I remember going to a Chinese when I was a kid on London Rd (next to highfields Library), must be about 30 years ago.

The deco and signs are still the same today.

Anybody else know any old restuarants?

I met my wife in Chinatown bottom of London Rd ( now called Candy Town)

You mean The Golden Tiger mikey, not sure what they call it these days, with reference to Ian Barkers post, they too used to do a dish with a fried egg on top, the House Special if I remember correct, anyone remember The Curry Centre on London Road, I think that has gone or changed aswell.

Does anyone remember the restaurant on the top floor of the old Co-Op building at the bottom of the London Road where Safeway is now? My mother used to take me and brother there every Christmas after seeing Santa's Grotto on the bottom floor, because I was told later on in life, that it was cheap! What I always remember about the restaurant was the deco, where it had the purple glittery columns and the old styled elevator with the lift attendant. From what I can remember, the whole interior was dark and gloomy. But when-ever we went, which would have been the last week before Christmas, on a Saturday lunch time towards the end of the 70's early 80's, it was always dead! :| [/b]

The Islamabad on Attercliffe didn't supply cutlery so you ate it in the traditional way using chunks of naan or pitta bread. You could bring your own booze too which made it a really cheap night out. Top food too.

Hmmm

Originally posted by "gibbage"

You mean the indus

I remember once(in the late seventies)on entering this establishment I was nearly knocked over by a group of men "doing a runner"not far behind them was a rather irate indian chap bransishing a meat cleaver!!

:lol: Hmmm, were,nt me and my mates was it, well i was only young. :oops:

Hi Mikey,

I used to eat at that chinese restaurant near Highfields library in the 70s and he had his licence taken from him because of serving rats in the food.

But days later he was back in business as his brother in law had stepped in to put his name over the door.

I never ate there again and I still feel sick when I think of what I might have eaten.

I remember the Rickshaw, that was in the late 50'/early 60's. It was up past the cathederal, don't rememberr the street, though. Also , does anyone remember the restaurant at the top of Commercial Street. Across from the pub that was next to the News Theatre in Fitzallen Square. Always thought the restaurant was too posh for me to go in! Does the name Gambit ring a bell??