Old Sheffield restaurants

I used to work at Davey's many moons ago. There were several floors with differing service. The top floor was ultra posh the next was silver service and the ground floor was self service and downstairs was a grill. I worked in the self service and we were allowed lunch and that was my 1st ever taste of tomato sausage ( still love it now! ). they used to serve it with a pool of fresh tomato sauce and the pork sausage with apple sauce! classy place.

The Islamabad on Attercliffe didn't supply cutlery so you ate it in the traditional way using chunks of naan or pitta bread. You could bring your own booze too which made it a really cheap night out. Top food too.

Yes, we used to go there, known as "Slammers" it was one of the originals I think. There was aslo further down Attercliffe one called Rim Jims. Does anyone remember that one?

As a child I was taken by my Mum to the Carlton Cafe which was on a lane that linked High Street with Norfolk Street (before the advent of Arundel Gate). The lane ran at the lower side of Walshes.

As a teenager I worked Saturdays at the Golden Griddle on Arundel Gate, with the Copper Hearth underneath.

Edited by tasha_78_1

Wasn't the original question: which was the first INDIAN restaurant in Sheffield? There hasn't been a proper answer has there?

The Ajanta Carver Street.

I can remember going to the Golden Dragon down the side of woolworths off the moor..would it be matilda street? We used to go once a week and we thought it was terrific....mom would never go to the zing va..which was at the side of british home stores...she said she had heard stories that it wasnt chicken in their food..but cat...as someone had had a cat bone stuck in their throat? Dont know how true it was...my dad delivered to the rickshaw...think he said that one was up one of the side streets around where suggs used to be?? He would never eat in their after what he saw...how they kept their food in the kitchen...:hihi:

Can anyone tell me the name of the restaurant on glossop road with the

Yellow American taxi outside

Can anyone tell me the name of the restaurant on glossop road with the

Yellow American taxi outside

Wasn't it on Ecclesall Road?

Correction. You're right, it was Barton's on Glossop Road.

Edited by Jim Hardie

It was on Glossop road Jim but it wasn't

Barton's .......it was about 1985

I think the 'Indus' in Fitzalan Square had to be one of the first Indian restaurants in Sheffield. I recall an Indian (name I never knew)one being on Attercliffe Common across from the old Pavilion Cinema near Leigh Street and that was there in 1958.

Edited by stpetre
add

Used to go to an Indian in the Wicker just up from the arches run by a man called Mr Naz.The restaurant was called the Naz iirc. Iside was like a transport caff with formica tables and iirc he used to play a lot of Elvis records.Good cheap grub and lots of free tea and coffee.Used to close around 2-3 a.m. Seem to remember it burnt down.

---------

Hiya Darr, Would you be thinking that restaurant was one door away

from the wicker picture house, or Studio 7, i use to call in after we'd

been drinking in Station Hotel. was it 60/7/80s.

---------

Hiya Darr, Would you be thinking that restaurant was one door away

from the wicker picture house, or Studio 7, i use to call in after we'd

been drinking in Station Hotel. was it 60/7/80s.

There used to be a Spanish style café called Garcias that was between the cinema and the Wicker Arches late '60s. It was very small tho' , hence 'cafe'.

Is Uncle Sams on Ecclesall Road still in business?

Going back to mid 70's now. They did a burger with blue cheese which was lovely.