Old Sheffield restaurants

Venus Steak House - oh yes I remember it well!

Have lots of pics from my younger days there, we used to think it was a big night out!!

We went one Xmas, a huge crowd of us, girls and partners. Some charlie ordered a couple of bottles of wine and then acted dumb when the bill arrived - we all ended up chipping in but thought he was a complete Scrooge. My friend dumped him shortly afterwards.

(Martyn from Parson X you know who you are!)

Does anyone remember the whimpy bar on the moore.It was open all night.Many nights i used to go there after going to tiffinys night club,Happy days.

Originally posted by Ousetunes

Probably the Classic?

News theater in the 1950's

Does anyone remember Stevensons restaurant it was more or less over the top of the Cannon pub.I remember going there in 1938 as an xmas treat from work,then we went to the lyceum and finished up at the Brunswick on Ellin st.

Maharajh Jalsa Ghar - London Road, a bit up the road from the Tramway?

We used to go there after spending the evenings at TurnUps at Nether Edge... it doesn't appear to be there nowadays and neither does the Curry Centre which was futher up on the other side of the road ... :(

In the '50s my mother worked at a restaurant which was alongside the old Hippodrome on Cambridge Street,. The policy of the management, was for the waitresses to salvage any pieces of meat left over from dirty plates being cleared away, which was to be used in the next day's stew. My mother was fired for refusing to do this.

Wonder if this could happen now.

Wasn't the original question: which was the first INDIAN restaurant in Sheffield? There hasn't been a proper answer has there?

I thought the Zing Vaa was on the Moor, not by Glossop Road baths. You went downstairs to it. I was there in 1962 and it may have been open before then.

Hi Mikey,

Wasn't that Chinese restaurant called Lin Hong's (the one at Highfield) we used to go there when I was a child usually at Whitsuntide after going to Meersbrook Park!

i seem to recall my first visit to an indian resturant was in 1965 on thewicker. i think it was called to taj mahal.never been in one since .

Anybody remember the name of the Greek restaurant in Fitzallan Sq.?

It was by the side of the pictures, come to think of it, what did they use to call the picture house?:confused:

Originally, the picture house was called the Electera. After that, it became the Classic(?) News Theatre

Anybody remember Tuckwoods on Surrey Street?

I went in a couple of times with my grandparents in the 60's during the annual family Christmas shopping expedition to Sheffield (while my parents went to Redgates).

Very traditional English - roast beef and Yorkshire pud.