What school did you go to and when?

i went to woodhouse west until 1978 then i went to shirebrook until 1981 and left there in 1986, mr lighthowler was my form tutor

st josephs walkley 77-81 (anyone remember pontious pierus?)

st vincents 81-84

notre dame 84-90

I went to St J's Walkley on a free transfer from St J's Handsworth when my parents moved house. I remember Miss Pierus very well from 1964-65. She had J2 and Miss Brown J3 and 4. I've seen Miss P a few times and my mum used to see her regularly on South Road. I then went on to De La Salle and the rest as they say, is history...

i went to whiteways middle school late 80s we were they year that left earlyto become the first year at earlmarshall seconday school stayed for half the year hated it,left there went to hinde house for a year an half had to leave as we were moving house my best friend at hindehouse was sarah jubb, then went to handsworth grange 93/4 it was ok.

Did anyone go to thornbridge school or now Birley community college? if so does anyone remember Mrs Machin the English teacher

Mrs Wade was my english teacher at Thornbridge @ 1984/86

i went to lindsay rd school which is not there now, it is houses now, the nursery is still there, can anybody remember the headteacher i cant remember her name?

Hi Eileen

Mr Birch must have been there when you started. I remember Mrs Buchanan and a Mr lLndley (woodwork teacher. I revisited the school once in 1997. The school had become an evening college or something at that time. I recently heard that it had been closed and was going to be demolished. Dont know if it's true or not. I wasn't at the school very long but my sister was and she has always said that it was a very good school

Just a note regarding colley school. Yes it did become a college for a while, then closed. Then vandals set fire to it and it was later demolished. Now just waste land.

Hi Taffy124, yes I went to Burngreave School, I think a little before your time 1951 to 1955. If you look back through the thread you should beable to pickup on others that went there.

You might know my uncle Keith Darling and my dad Michael Darling????

King Ecgberts techical school for girls. Kitty coates the headmistress and Miss Ainsworth the deputy head. We wore maroon tunics with blue blouses, gaberdenes and berets.

Miss Bluff the music teacher was slightly potty, Miss Garrison the PE teacher rather frightening, Miss Griffiths the maths teacher TERRIFYING

MY MUM WENT TO KING EGBERTS, IS THAT STILL A GIRLS SCHOOL?

My wife went there in 64 it is now a comprehensive.

I went to Maltby St in Attercliffe and I recently saw some photos on Friends Reunited of it being demolished.....I didn't know....how sad.

I went to Carrfield Intermediatry School in 1444 - 1948, is there anyone still out there who remembers Mr Kay the headmaster - a gentleman.

I was at Carfield Intermediate School from 1943 to 1947 so our time at Carfield must have overlapped.Maybe you recall the incident described below.To answear your question I remember Mr Kay ,vividly.

A friend and I decided to take an afternoon off school to play tennis. Unfortunately Mr. Kay the Headmaster was informed of our absence and decided that punishment was indicated. The next day all the boys were assembled in the hall to witness punishment (two strokes of the cane on each hand). Mr Kay was standing on a dais at the front of the hall giving a lecture on the lack of discipline at Carfield and that he intended to make an example of the two of us.

He selected me to be caned first . Unfortunately, as Mr Kay raised the cane for the first stroke he shattered a light bulb and shade just above his head, causing

subdued laughter from the assembled boys. I have a feeling that the laughter did nothing to reduce the severity of the first stroke to hit my hand. After the incident he apologized for keeping us waiting while he lectured the school. The pain in my hands lasted for a couple of days but I must say that I never resented the caning, feeling that it was justified. In fact even now I have nothing but admiration for the Mr Kay and the way he ran the school. He was a true gentle man.

I went to Rowlinson from 1976 to 1982

It was a horrid school , bullying was rife and there was absolutly no support from staff who turned a blind eye to it and even lied about what was going on .

The education recieved was sub standard and people who had educational differculties were ignored,

I hated every day of it although it did improve in the sixth form anyone remember Mr dixon (Head)

Mr Dawson Drama, he still around and is often seen in hunters bar

Mr Sanderson Music he works around sheffield now and at Birkdale

Miss Douglas

Mrs Stonehewer

mr Ashmoor

mrs Miller

mrs Abson

mr Scaif

mr Gom (Deseased)

Mr Williams (deaseased)

Mrs Cutts

Mr Holmes (Killer)

Mrs Holmes.

Mr Tweedy

Mrs Holland

Mr Brook

Miss Glass

Miss Doherty

Mrs Peat (music)

Mrs Bagshaw

Mr Howard

mr Boyce

mr Laybourn

Miss Duncan

Miss Woodman

Mr and Mrs Wakefield.

Mr Reddish

Mrs Shortland

Mrs Bacon

mrs Bullock

Mrs Levic

Any info please :)

I left Rowlinson in 1975 having gone through from age 11 to 18!!

I remember some of the above, especially Killer Holmes the art teacher - he really was a cruel bugger. My form teacher for most of my time there was Bob Parnham (pengy Parnham because he walked like a penguin) and the best teacher there was probably Dave Dawson - a genius English teacher in my days. Mike Trevorrow was also a gifted and inspiring teacher, as was Simon Morris, sociology teacher and all round great bloke. He used to take us to the pub for a pint and teach us overe a cigarette and a few beers!