What school did you go to and when?

I was at Carfield Intermediate School from 1943 to 1947 so our time at Carfield must have overlapped.Maybe you recall the incident described below.To answear your question I remember Mr Kay ,vividly.

A friend and I decided to take an afternoon off school to play tennis. Unfortunately Mr. Kay the Headmaster was informed of our absence and decided that punishment was indicated. The next day all the boys were assembled in the hall to witness punishment (two strokes of the cane on each hand). Mr Kay was standing on a dais at the front of the hall giving a lecture on the lack of discipline at Carfield and that he intended to make an example of the two of us.

He selected me to be caned first . Unfortunately, as Mr Kay raised the cane for the first stroke he shattered a light bulb and shade just above his head, causing

subdued laughter from the assembled boys. I have a feeling that the laughter did nothing to reduce the severity of the first stroke to hit my hand. After the incident he apologized for keeping us waiting while he lectured the school. The pain in my hands lasted for a couple of days but I must say that I never resented the caning, feeling that it was justified. In fact even now I have nothing but admiration for the Mr Kay and the way he ran the school. He was a true gentle man.

Hi Antijammer - unfortunately I don't remember the incident, you would have been in the year above me. I loved that school and all the teachers in fact I sobbed like a baby on leaving day. It seems ironic that I now live in a house which directly overlooks the school.

Do you remember sports day when we had to travel to a field opposite the entrance to Graves park, I was always in the hockey team, not being very athletic and I was in Australia house. As you say Mr Kay was one of life's true gentlemen. Mavis Petch (that was)

I left Rowlinson in 1975 having gone through from age 11 to 18!!

I remember some of the above, especially Killer Holmes the art teacher - he really was a cruel bugger. My form teacher for most of my time there was Bob Parnham (pengy Parnham because he walked like a penguin) and the best teacher there was probably Dave Dawson - a genius English teacher in my days. Mike Trevorrow was also a gifted and inspiring teacher, as was Simon Morris, sociology teacher and all round great bloke. He used to take us to the pub for a pint and teach us overe a cigarette and a few beers!

i didn,t go to rowlinson,but knew some of the above teachers,my girlfriend at the time was a pupil there,leigh taylor,she was there the same time as you teeny,leaving the same year,did you know her???

i didn,t go to rowlinson,but knew some of the above teachers,my girlfriend at the time was a pupil there,leigh taylor,she was there the same time as you teeny,leaving the same year,did you know her???

Got to be honest, no I don't remember her - some I do remember that she might know are Gail Walker, Patt Elliot (os Ellis?) Jane Dew, Caroline Gower, Helen Bridges, Jane Hawcroft, a Polish girl called Halina Jagiellowicz, Julie Bargh, Jill Cooper and Olwyn Roden - do these ring any bells?

Got to be honest, no I don't remember her - some I do remember that she might know are Gail Walker, Patt Elliot (os Ellis?) Jane Dew, Caroline Gower, Helen Bridges, Jane Hawcroft, a Polish girl called Halina Jagiellowicz, Julie Bargh, Jill Cooper and Olwyn Roden - do these ring any bells?

david pearson,susan oliver,helen kirk,ruth westby,andrew sockett,dodge,chilli,steven reid,suzanne dooley,michelle hill,debra barnett,sharon topham were all in her year.

I went to Abbeydale Grange, left around 1984, some good memories but wouldn't send my kids there

Morley St/Rivelin 1970-1977

Was there when the name changed and it converted from a junior to middle school.

Teachers at Rivelin Middle

Mrs Whiteley

Miss Bone

Mrs Carter

Mr Butterfield

Myers Grove 1977-1983

Because we were fed from a middle school we went straight into the second year which was very difficult - all the rest of the kids already knew each other after a year at the school.

Form teachers at Myers

Mr Connerton (Class "2M1") (Eccentric English teacher with a penchant for quick-fire spelling tests)

Mr Crompton (Class "3M1/4M1") (French teacher - quite rotund but can't remember much else)

Mr Perry (Class "5Py") (Very cool English teacher with a moustache)

Some of the other teachers I remember :

Mr (William) Hill (The original headmaster of the school who had pretentions of runing a grammer school but was a nice old guy I remember, he retired while I was there)

My (Alan) Old - Head of lower school then head of 6th form and math teacher - the school's claim to fame; Alan Old was a British Lion and England international rugby player. Had a bit of a reputation for dicipline but was always OK with me

My Lloyd - Head of year - nice guy, but I recall had a tragic incident after I left (mid 80s) involving his ex wife and daughter

Mr Snell (Games teacher)

I was at Morely St from 1970-75 and also went to Myers Grove then a fantastic comp school and know all the teachers you have mentioned. You may know me or my brother.....

I went to Ashleigh School and left in 1977. Now both the upper and lower school are housing estates.

went to Herries !!!! ???

i worked at herries in 1980,under the "guidance" of gordon hobson,the school caretaker.

What an arsehole,always on the moral high ground,but having affairs with a couple of his cleaning staff while married.

i worked at herries in 1980,under the "guidance" of gordon hobson,the school caretaker.

What an arsehole,always on the moral high ground,but having affairs with a couple of his cleaning staff while married.

Nice one bit of salacious gossip I went to Herries between 76- 81 so we were there at the same time don't really remember the cleaners apart from one never even crossed my mind at that age that people would be having affairs...:hihi: LOL:hihi:

Nice one bit of salacious gossip I went to Herries between 76- 81 so we were there at the same time don't really remember the cleaners apart from one never even crossed my mind at that age that people would be having affairs...:hihi: LOL:hihi:

so you will remember rita slingsby,carol jarvis,ann piddock and jennifer lawrence then???errol edwards,the macphersons,sid,danny the mixed race caretaker,miss marsh(1 of my old teachers at chaucer).Gordon Hobsons wife died a couple of years later,following a "fall" down the stairs.

I went to Springfield infants and junior, then Pomana st infants and junior.

Went to King Edward V11