Ideas please! Romantic spots near Kendal for a picnic

Hi

Me and my hubby are off to Kendal for our first wedding anniversary soon and instead of going out for the standard meal and drinks, I thought it would be really nice if (weather permitting) we could find somewhere to go for an evening picnic and maybe watch the sun setting :love: , or something slushy like that!

Problem is, neither of us have been to the Lake District before so I wouldn't even know where to start looking!

Anyone got any suggestions of places to go?

Either drive or take the train to Windermere and walk up to the top of Orrest Head. It's only about a mile walk and is an excellent introduction to the Lake District if you've not been before.

http://www.stridingedge.net/images/2004/5.%20May/Orrest%20Head/23rd%20May%20-%20Orrest%20Head%20010.jpg

Now that's a view!

That reminds me of the view we had from our honeymoon hotel in Ireland!

It would be a mistake to go to Windermere as it is far too busy and touristy. There are endless places you can find that are further away from people. I would suggest simply driving about and looking earlier in the day. The thing to bear in mind is where the sun will set in comparison to where you are in the Lakes.

Langdale Fell is a good bet as well. Drive over the Hardknott and Wrynose pass and there's loads of good picnic spots. Theres a nice pub at one end, I think its called Sticklebarn Inn but I'm really digging to the depths of my memory here as I've not been there for about 12 years. Another nice place for a drive and picnic is Tarn Howes. I'm sure all these places will be google - able.

Either drive or take the train to Windermere and walk up to the top of Orrest Head. It's only about a mile walk and is an excellent introduction to the Lake District if you've not been before.

http://www.stridingedge.net/images/2004/5.%20May/Orrest%20Head/23rd%20May%20-%20Orrest%20Head%20010.jpg

Gosh, that's a blast from the past. I used to live in Windermere and used to walk my dog on Orrest Head every lunchtime and evening.

It's not the romantic location that's the issue - you could be in a car park with your beloved and have a really romantic time!

Have fun anyway ;)

you could be in a car park with your beloved and have a really romantic time!

Hey, there's nothing romantic about dogging.... but thanks for the suggestion! :hihi:

There's a golf course just to the west of the centre of town, with a footpath through it and some woods. Long time since I've been up there, but in the early evening it's lovely to walk through the woods and there are lovely views.

I found a link for a walk that takes you through there - not suggesting you do the whole thing but just the first bit!

wastwater is absolutely gorgeous, could go for a drive there?