Old shops in town

Originally posted by feederfil

a couple of shops I remember from the past are Peter Robinsons top of Snig Hill [old meeting place] Male boutique on Orchard street ,Lift up your skirts and Fly top of Charles street i think. How many went to John Temple to get a suit made?Can anyone remember the mens boutique upstairs at Austin Reed when it was at the end of Chapel Walk .Austins at the top of The Moor used to be a decent men's shop as was S.M.C. shirt shop on the Moor . Bradleys on fargate used to be a good record shop ! Can anybody remember the Roman Room coffee shop on Orchard street near The Sheffield Raincoat Store.

A shop on Church St used to sell lots of model railway stuff. Hornby Dublo. Was it Noel something? It was near the Leopold St roundabout or was it a crossroads then? Gordon Joel?

A shop on Church St used to sell lots of model railway stuff. Hornby Dublo. Was it Noel something? It was near the Leopold St roundabout or was it a crossroads then? Gordon Joel?

Quite right mikeG. L.Gordon Joel. Had a basement with model trains running round and also sold railway mags

Cann's music shop on Chapel Walk in the 60's?

Bird's sports shop on Leopold Street

Darlow's sports shop on West Street.

Archer's sports shop on Bramall Lane

Does anybody remember Winstons at the bottom of Snig Hill, bought my first drainpipe trousers from there.

McDonalds hairdressers at the top of Howerd Street, Old Mcdonald used to put an appearance in now and again wearing his ginger coloured wig, which was enough to put anyone off.

Then there was Lew Burgins hairdressers in the alley near the Dove and Rainbow pub.

The stamp & bookshop in the Old Market Hall. Ah! the smell of all those fresh flowers in there.

Davy's shop on Fargate with the aroma of freshly roasted coffee.

Cole Brothers with their popular lunchtime dinners at the sit at the bar feature.

These are some of the memories of old shops in sheffield.

The suit taylor on Corporation St, I forget his name but his suits were top class.

Happy Days!

Lift Up Your Skirts and Fly - boutique think was on Chapel Walk and think was owned by Roger Howe (Peter Stringfellows mate).

Also, the record shops were great - when you could go into a both before you bought but never did cos you couldn't afford it!.

C & A King Street - used to get loads in there - bough my first mini-skirt in there!- 1965!

Thise were the days!

Going back to 1947-8?? I was in the last year at school and I discovered Appelbaums; the bookshop; just up Division St from the Albert. Thing about Appelbaums was that they got all the latest American comics, horror comics and stuff. I think they arrived in England as ballast on ships coming into Liverpool. Anyhow Appelbaums got 'em, and I bought 'em. I was famous for about 5 minutes at school. Good people, the Applebaums, the old guy with his beret and cigar and his old lady with a cigarette hanging from the corner of her mouth, and hornrimmed glasses.

:love:

I remember Redgates toy shop. What a sight as a young lass!

There used to be a Hi-fi / tv shop on the moor that was swallowed up to make the McDonalds on the corner.

They used to sell Bang & Olufson gear, can't remember the name of the place for the life of me but when you went in they were always playing top quality sounding LP's like James Last & Bert Kaempfert's "Swinging Safari" to show off the equipment.

Think,

Think,

Think..............

No, still can't remember the name!

I remember Chelsea Girl as i would spend most Saturdays in there buying a new outfit for clubbing. It used to be on Fargate somewhere i think. Also Saxone shoe shop with its bargain basement.

There used to be a Hi-fi / tv shop on the moor that was swallowed up to make the McDonalds on the corner.

They used to sell Bang & Olufson gear, can't remember the name of the place for the life of me but when you went in they were always playing top quality sounding LP's like James Last & Bert Kaempfert's "Swinging Safari" to show off the equipment.

Think,

Think,

Think..............

No, still can't remember the name!

In 1965/6 I worked at Stern-Clyne at the corner of The Moor and Cumberland Street. If that is where McD's is now, your mystery is solved. We played Burt Kaempfert and James Last endlessly, but when asked for classical music we were clueless. We had a recording of Bach's Toccata & Fuge in D minor which usually impressed.

We sold a complete range of electronics, from individual resistors and capacitors right up to the top end hi-fi of the day - Leak, Quad, Celestion, Wharfedale etc.

One of our regular customers was the Mojo on Burngreave Road (Pete & Geoff Stringfellow) for whom we customised the best sound equipment at a time when no-one else considered that the quality mattered in that market.

I started as a junior salesman on £5 per week, and was soon elevated to senior salesman on £7 per week. In 1966, I was allowed to have the Saturday morning off to get married, but I had to return for the afternoon. Such a generous boss!

Yea Sexy Rexys and Chelsea Girl. Also Van Allens in fargate, the only place to go for Biba and Mary Quant!