Old shops in town

Yes ,,Manor cinema spent many happy hours there

Heres a few listed here i can remember

Davies cafe on Waingate (very posh in its day with sliver service waitresses)

Woolworths on Waingate - old wooden floors -cooking doughnuts just inside the main door.

Schofileds

C & A

Canns music shop - Chapel Walk

Side walk Cafe - Chapel Walk

Wilson Peck Music shop

Caplins warehouse - in the wicker jsut at the side of teh wicker arches - this was run by two brothers who wore pin stripe suits and wore a carnation on the button hole of their jackets

Rebina shoes on Fargate,

The Golden Egg Restaurant at the top of Fargate

Whiteheads Craft shop, on chapel walk (before it moved to London road)

Van Allen fashion shop next to Boots at the bottom of Fargate (well, High Street, if each had their own) where I used to buy my "Biba" brand make up.

Then there was the Cinemas

ABC in the Wicker (i think)

the ABC was next door to Schofields, on Angel Street, opposite "the Stores"

The cinema in the wicker was "Studio 5/6/7"

What was the one in Fitzalan Sq Called ??

The Electra Palace, the news cinema (I think), and then the Classic

Intake Pictures

The Rex Cinema, opposite the Royal Oak, corner of Hollinsend Road

Does anyone remember the big gap near the bottom of the Moor (presumably bomb damage) At the rear of the open space were some shops that may have been prefabs, one was a tailor Isidore Newman, can`t recall any others.

On this same row of shops was Lewis Leathers that sold bike gear. I bought my first leather jacket there with tassles on the arms and across the back. Jeez i looked cool !!!

Was this The Moors?

Walshes in High Street in the 1950's ( now T J Hughes) was the first store in

Sheffield to have escalators. Me and my friend used to pay our 1 penny bus fare to town just to ride on the escalators until we got chucked out.

Woolworths in Haymarket had a porter in a brown smock wheeling a trolley around restocking the counters. To let you know he was coming, he used to call out " mind your backs ! "

Have not read all the thread so someone may have already said this but Maces pet shop in the old market was brilliant, when it moved to the new Castle Market with the closing of the old market it was still good. As a kid you could cuddle the puppies , kittens and rabbits. And they had snakes and tarantula spiders and giant centipedes and axolotls and stuff. Excellent. Is it still there?

remember the miner bird that talked called "Henri"

Wilson Pecks, William Cann the music man, and another small music shop at the bottom of Carver St (But I can't remember the name) Maybe "Silverstones"???

Cann the Music man ...... It was Philip Cann, Not William.

Walshes,on the High Street (Rackhams,and lately T J Hughes) with the Coal Board shop next to it. My mum used to take me to a cafe up the street at the side which linked the High Street with Norfolk Street, (long before Arundel Gate was built) and we went to a cafe up there called the Carlton, with mullioned windows and coffee served in glass cups.

Peter Robinsons on the High Street

Lift Up Your Skirts and Fly, Sheffields first "proper" boutique, at the back of the Peace Gardens

Cockaynes on Angel Street, I remember being in there when Sheffield Wednesday was in the Cup Final,they announced each goal on the tannoy

S and E Co-op at the bottom of Ecclesall Road, where I was taken for my school uniform

I can remember Marshall and Snelgroves but cannot remember it being where Smiths is now.

Anne Lennards ladies clothes shop was the one I remember being there, with H L Browns next to it on the corner.

I remember trying on a dress in Anne Lennards when the shop assisstant came in the cubicle, (always when you were half undressed flinging the curtain back with a flourish so all the world could see you in your underwear) Said what a beautiful fit it was holding half the dressed bunched in her hand at the back.

Linda was the dress shop on Snig Hll also a lending Library as I went there in the early 50's to borrow books for about 2d aweek.

hazel

I bought my wedding dress from Ann Lennards in 1970!! They had a selection of dresses in the upstairs window

we went to a cafe up there called the Carlton, with mullioned windows and coffee served in glass

Was this Change Alley?

Walshes,on the High Street (Rackhams,and

lately T J Hughes) with the Coal Board shop next to it. My mum used to take me to a cafe up the street at the side which linked the High Street with Norfolk Street, (long before Arundel Gate was built) and we went to a cafe up there called the Carlton, with mullioned windows and coffee served in glass cups.

Peter Robinsons on the High Street

Lift Up Your Skirts and Fly, Sheffields first "proper" boutique, at the back of the Peace Gardens

Cockaynes on Angel Street, I remember being in there when Sheffield Wednesday was in the Cup Final,they announced each goal on the tannoy

S and E Co-op at the bottom of Ecclesall Road, where I was taken for my school uniform

Seem to remember the boutique at the back of the peace gardens was owned by Peter Stringfellow's brother .

No I think it was owned by a friend of the Stringfellows, called Roger Howe