Flour weevil problems

Anybody had any of these little blighters in their cupboards?

I saved some flour past it's date for making play dough for the kids, which was a huge mistake.

I have cleared the cupboard and thrown out all opened packets of food and bleached the cupbaords but I'm still finding the odd one.

They seem impossible to clear out. Any ideas?:(

They are horrible aren't they. I think you will just have to keep on keeping on with the elimination process. You can avoid them by not storing too much flour for too long.

Keep everything in plastic containers,they don't like plastic!

I think they come in with the flour, regardless of how you stoire it they will hatch out and infest the flour, the best thing is to eat the flour quickly not leave it laying around for months/years.

I read somewhere that keeping your flour in the freezer will stop them hatching.

yup - transfer everything to plastic containers and those sealable plastic bags, and keep cleaning :( if you're using those bags, make sure you seal them properly ;)

Eww does that mean that most flour has unhatched weevels in it :gag: right I am off to check the flour thats festering in the cubord

Have you got a microscope in your kitchen? :confused:

*Realises there's a bag of the stuff in the back of our cupboard* :shocked:

Was going to look for actuall beetles rather than the eggs.. seem to be weevil free though phew..

They like Pasta too, if the bags opened, has flour in it also.

From what I can see they will eat anything.

I just opened a sealed packet of trifle sponges and they had managed to get into the sealed plastic inner wrapper :gag:

They also appear to like hiding under the labels on tins. BEWARE.

They are edible though, so they won't kill you, just think of them as little nuggets of protein or an ingredient that gives a more "rustic" feel to your home baking.

:)

From what I can see they will eat anything.

I just opened a sealed packet of trifle sponges and they had managed to get into the sealed plastic inner wrapper :gag:

They also appear to like hiding under the labels on tins. BEWARE.

Thats because they like the glue, they can get into the bit of glue in tea bags too where the strings attached to the label.