Anyone go to Hartley brook school?

I am currently trying to put together information about Hartley brook school from when it opened in 1935 up to the present day. If there are any past teachers, headteachers or ex pupils who have memories or stories that they would like to share I would be very grateful. It is now 75 years since the school first opened and my father remembers watching it being built but he didn't actually go to school there as he was only visiting his Aunt Ginny on Gregg House Road.

I attended Hartley Brook School (HBS) circa1944 -1950

Infant School: 0900 – 1530

My teacher in the reception class was Mrs Fletcher, she was a tiny lady whose son was a couple of years higher up the school. She was an ideal reception class teacher, patient, friendly, and gentle. Each morning we had our shoes and hands inspected to make sure they were clean and, wait for it; we blew and polished our noses. Presumably to check we all had an handkerchief. I had two other teachers in the infant school (now probably called early years) Miss Woolhouse, and Miss Neene. Obviously we started to learn to read here. The first book being “Old Lobb” he was a farmer. I remember chanting I am old Lobb, I am Percy chick, as our fingers moved across the words. We also started “sums” and arithmetic.

Junior School: 0900 – 1600

We were in the “juniors “for four years. From the second year we kept the same teacher until we left the school. The idea being to keep continuity leading up to the Scholarship exams. I was very lucky as my teacher was Mr Jackson (initials J.I.) He was fresh from the war, ex RAF, and in one really bad winter, possibly ’47 came to school in his flying boots. He was an excellent teacher, a lovely man, and a friend to all in his class. He lived in Gleadless and came to school in a blue Ford car. On occasions he took various ones of us on outings to Longley pool and Stanage pole. I suspect that would be frowned upon these days but, as not many people had cars then, it was a real treat. He regaled us with tales of his time served in India and the beautiful Indian black velvety night sky, and bright shining stars. My mother used to say “you’ll never pass Scholarship with this teacher he wastes to much time” How wrong she was, if I remember correctly he had the highest number of Scholarship passes in Sheffield that year.

Curriculum

We had a very varied curriculum. On Friday mornings we had singing in the hall (much frowned upon by the boys) For the last quarter hour on Friday afternoon we had story time, Beast with Five Fingers was my favourite. One afternoon a week the boys had woodwork while the girls had needlework. The teacher Miss Eaton, was quite an affected lady with black/gray frizzy hair and very orangey rouged cheeks but quite nice for all that. The last item I made was a flared skirt, now I think about it, not bad for an eleven year old though I was not exceptional by any means. For sports we were taken to Longley Park for running etc and we played rounders in the school yard for games. The word “batters” was a definite no no “that’s what you make pudding with” we were told by Mr Jackson. If you are a cricket fan you will know that now it is common parlance for batsmen. We also had Country dancing including the boys but they didn’t seem to mind. Flowers of Edinburgh, Dashing White Sergeant and Varsovienne were one or two or even three of the dances. We had PT in the hall, apparatus being a horse, a box, benches for various activities, and two poles with measures on and a rod between for jumping. Some of us were chosen to do PT demonstrations at other schools on a Saturday morning. Swimming was also on the agenda once a week at Corporation St. Baths. We were taught to swim and had life saving lessons. We were given bath tickets to use out of school time to help us pay for sessions, making the price “tuppence and a bath ticket”. The building was really old even back then and the pool had seen better days. I have wondered if it was Victorian but I don’t think the Victorians were into that kind of thing. I bet it isn’t there today (I left Sheffield in 1960) Last but by no means least we had the annual May Queen ceremony. The Queen was elected by the girls of the fourth year, in my year it was Jean Halliwell, an attractive fair haired girl much liked by everyone. She was attended by eight garland girls. The garlands were half hoops with ribbon and flowers wrapped around and a girl held one at each side so that the Queen could walk through. She wore a white long dress and a green velvet cloak and train. It was a lovely day I loved it, as I did all my time at the school. It sounds quite twee now but it was a very different world sixty years ago to the world we have today, each one having much to offer. In the centre of the quadrangle was a small garden in the middle of which was a small pond and a bird bath. A different pupil was chosen every week to keep the bird bath full.

Goodness me I do hope I haven’t bored you to tears. Here goes with the words of the school song:

In 1935 Hartley Brook came alive and it’s been going strong through the years. We come each day for our work and for our play and we do it without so very many tears. So here’s to Hartley Brook it’s not a bad old nook Hip hip hoorah ah ah hip hip hoorah ah ah hip hip hoorahahahahahah. This has just caused much hilarity with my husband as I gave him a rendition.

I did have a photo of the May Queen for my year but it seems to have disappeared. However some months ago I came across one on the net of HBS but not my year, I believe it was in Sheffield Schools. I must have found it because of something I read on the forum. I will look and see if I can find it again and let you know. I have a class photo that looks like it may be about 1947 at a guess.

Edited by yesugei
post no longer relevant

I dont know about that, but she did live on Valentines Road, Shiregreen, Maybe so!

my mum lived at top of valentines road, the Kelly family.

Edited by Panthera

I went to Hartley Brook for 6 years from 1961.I too remember Mrs Fletcher in reception and mrs fielding the year after. Miss heaton, who taught me for 3 years, j1,j2,j3, was the best I ever had. Brilliant. Ok she looked a bit strange with fuzzy hair and loads of make up but I honestly think that she taught me everything I needed to know academically and morally. the head teacher was mrs wooffitt (welsh I think) my class was Duncan Balme,william sheppard, graham wilkinson,robert pemberton, barbara hale, anita smith ,hazel leach, richard southern,dorothy senior,gary gregory,raymond morrell, audrey young,valerie hutchinson, elizabeth quinn etc.

In high school our form teacher was mr inman. what a vicious, sadistic ******* he was. Should never have been a teacher. Went on school trip to Switzerland with mr and mrs Gallagher and miss dixon. Great memories

Taught me chess as well. Along with Trevor Wattam and Scott West. Must have been about '76.

We all went on to play for Sheffield :roll:

I just recently found an old photo of me with the chess team, it includes Trevor and Scott along with Paul Briggs, David Keane and three others I don't recognise, maybe one is you. It's on my facebook page so let me know and I will PM you the link.

I just recently found an old photo of me with the chess team, it includes Trevor and Scott along with Paul Briggs, David Keane and three others I don't recognise, maybe one is you. It's on my facebook page so let me know and I will PM you the link.

Hi flashowl.

Please do PM the link. Even if one is not me it will be interesting to see.

Had to laugh seeing this picture. Can't remember the last picture I saw of me around 10 years old haha. Cheers for that mate :)

Edited by _BLADESMAN_
Updated

I went to hartley brook i remember a mr burkinshaw only because he used to use a size ten slipper n your backside instead of the cane i went to school with steve grayson and harry strut also lorraine fiddler those were the good days and mr inman was the music teacher

I didn't go to Hartley Brook, but played in the same Sheffield Boys football team that won the Green 'Un Cup with Shaun White who went to your school.

This was in 1968. He was a tricky little winger. Anybody know him?

hi ROLLESTONE i remember shaun white, went to school with him and lived over the back from him. great little footballer.

Sure,everybody knew Shaun,a real character.I think he got religion,became a minister and went to Africa as a missionary.

Sure,everybody knew Shaun,a real character.I think he got religion,became a minister and went to Africa as a missionary.

My what a turnaround, as he was an almost permanent fixture in the Bookies my Dad went to Lol.

Remember Shaun really well.

I went there and left about 1980 and I remember Mr Trevethick very well, never liked the man, My sister was an ace chess player and as she was in the year above me he idolised her but cos I could not play he did not like me much and he always used to compare us, he also used to hit me on the head with his guitar whilst singing "Hit me with your Rhythm Stick" - very weird man indeed. Remember Mr Kay as well all the kids used to sing the Pink Floyd song to him - another brick in the wall, especially when we were on the coach to Concorde swimming baths. Loved Mr Booth and Miss Blenkinsopp wearing her array of very bright tights - happy days. Live in Nottingham now, but loved school days.