Anyone go to Hartley brook school?

On 20/04/2008 at 23:29, sammyc said:

I was there in the 70's also had Mr Booth he was my favourite teacher.

Mr Trevethic taught me how to play chess and cross country running. I remember playing rounders no-one here in New Zealand has ever heard of that game.

Remember the youth club out the back of the dinner room.

I lived across the road from the school and if i was sick could here Mr Kay shouting from there. Didn't know Mr Booth was the head for a while.

What was the name of the teacher who had the american convertable that we would all pile in to go to netball games?

Just found this forum, Sam I remember you - we went to London with your parents on a coach.

Bob (bugsy) Megson I played with Dennis Topham , John Curtain, Terry Morgan, and rest of names you mentioned, good rugby team, 

great times then.

Brian Steers lived round the corner from me.

At present living in a village called Pontnewydd South Wales.

I am 73 in August , playing golf 3 times a week,  life is very good at present. 

It is pity i do not have any photos from back then. 

My younger brother Stuart megson died a few weeks back he also went to Hartley Brook. 

Any info about Rodger Nutbrown would be welcome , Rodger and i were good friends in the 60s  i know he died very young ,  a photo would be perfect if anybody has one

On 08/03/2008 at 14:12, yesugei said:

I was there 1944-1950, Mr. Jackson was our last teacher, he also had a car, I thought he was the best thing since sliced bread, except we didn't have sliced bread then. Do you remember Miss Heaton? Mr Bloxham?. I also remember "OLD AKKO" giving me the cane, I probably deserved it but she wouldn't get away with it these days.

I was there from 1950 to 1956.  Mrs Fletcher was the reception class teacher and Miss Scotford taught the next class.  I was in Mr Bloxham's class in J1.  I remember interesting history and geography lessons in his class and he had a swordfish sword in his cupboard.  My next teacher was Mrs Davis, who was dull and silly,  and after that I was in Miss Blatchford's class for 2 years.   She could be very frightening when she became angry. 

Miss Wragg became head after Miss Atkinson retired.  She explained the deriviation of the name and the way it was depicted on the new lectern for the stage.   She used to explain the meaning of hymns in assembly.  And I remember two dreadful occasions when she had to tell us that children had died.   One was a boy who climbed an electricity pylon and was electrocuted, and the other had been jumping on the back of a lorry and had fallen off and been dragged along.  I was only 5 or 6, but I remember the horror of those tragedies.

My sister left the summer after I had started at Easter.  She was taught by Mr Jackson that year, and I think by Mr Kettlewell the year before.  I think they used two huts at the side of the playground as classrooms.

On 27/07/2020 at 14:26, Bob Megson said:

Bob (bugsy) Megson I played with Dennis Topham , John Curtain, Terry Morgan, and rest of names you mentioned, good rugby team, 

great times then.

Brian Steers lived round the corner from me.

At present living in a village called Pontnewydd South Wales.

I am 73 in August , playing golf 3 times a week,  life is very good at present. 

It is pity i do not have any photos from back then. 

My younger brother Stuart megson died a few weeks back he also went to Hartley Brook. 

Did Brian Steers play football for Grimesthorpe Boys Club. In the late 60s early 70s 

I understand that Gregg House Rd school is now part of Hartly Brook school. Gregg House was a  junior school. I went there in 1937 whe i was 5 yrs old.

I went to Hartley Brook late 60s early 70s. Mrs O'Brien taught me in the infants, she kept boxes of Black Jacks and Fruit Salad in the cupboard and handed them out as treats.

My other teachers were Miss Carter and Mrs Wattam who were lovely. I also remember Mr. Trevethick who I liked

and Mr. Kay who terrified me!

When I moved to the lower building (Middle School) my form teachers were Mr. Kippax  who had a broad Lancashire accent and supported Burnley , Mrs Drabble who wore long sparkly evening gowns to work and Mr. Booth who was just the nicest man and best teacher ever.

Mr. Fearnley was the headmaster  and  the dinner ladies were Mrs. Bonnington and  Mrs. Rodgers who were like Good cop/ Bad cop respectively!

I'm sure at some point we kept chickens in the upper school quadrangle gardens? Not sure may have dreamt that!

Happy Memories.

I was there in the eighties. I remember Mr Trevethick with all his guitars hung up on the classroom wall. I also remember how the basement was supposedly haunted by a "white lady".

On 02/11/2015 at 19:07, glennpickard said:

Last time March 2015, it started around 7.00 pm, went on till around 11.00 pm

Linda Williams is looking for you on F/b