Dog Training Classes (merged thread)

I assume a beagle who ignores treats when he intends to be naughty wouldn't be welcome there Lotti? :blush:

LOL any dog is welcome there! They never discourage the dogs from things, for instance when you put them in a down and wait, we are taught that if the dog looks as though it's going to get up as you walk away, call it to you rather than shouting 'no!' that way if you get your command in on time, the dog is still responding to you.

Strix, they've even welcomed Eddy who isn't good with other dogs and is 11 and a half years old!

Thanks for your pm and for replying. I will be extra cautious! : )

Any news on the scent following courses yet, Lotti?

I have to agree with Lotti's recommendation to go and watch first.

We had a temporary trainer whilst ours had puppies (we used to go to a club in Wath), but this guy was advocating punching large dogs in the shoulder :suspect:

Hi,

I was after a class that wasn't a course, as sometimes I'm too ill to go and didn't want to spend lots of money to miss lessons. I found a Tuesday night class on Slinn St, Crookes which is great.

The trainer is lovely and knows her stuff but she aims for obedience, no fancy tricks, she just wants a well behaved dog that will concentrate on you rather than other people/dogs.

It's very friendly there, everyone loves each other's dogs and she works on a positive reinforcement method using treats and praise. You are allowed to use a clicker if that's what you do and she never shouts at or hits any dog.

PM me if you want more details.

hiya Lottie, I'm trying to PM you but your box is full. Could you let me have the contact details for that class, as my dog is getting naugtier by the day, and Tuesday nights are my free night, so that sounds ideal.

Note: Threads merged

Hi All,

Having just become an owner of a retired Greyhound i thought it might be good to get him some training, just the basic stuff nothing to fancy as he is retired he is about 6 now so not sure how much you can teach an old dog new tricks.

I was just wondering if anybody could reccomend any good classes around the Hillsborough area for dog obedience and very probably owner training as well.

Many thanks in advance

jamiexx

Welcome to SF pets Toytiger :wave:

Note: Threads merged

Hi

Does anyone know of any dog agility classes in Sheffield? I have taken Tia to dog training classes and she picked everything up within a couple of weeks so we stopped going, I feel ready for a bit of a challenge. The trainer said Tia would be brilliant at agility and I wouldn't mind having a go myself! Had a look on internet and can't find anything!

Daisy.x

We used to take our dog to North Derbyshire dog Agility Club in Dronfield but I wouldn't recomend them to you, I did hear of a club that met sunday mornings at Rother Valley, don't know any details though

anyone know where i can take a four month old staffy for training close to sheffield 6 please?

Note: Threads merged so all the recommendations are in one place :thumbsup:

I desperately need to get my Poppy to training classes, she is TERRIBLE around other dogs & when we let her off the lead she just bolts. She is a really good girl in general, & I honestly believe the way she acts around other dogs is a fear thing.

So any recomendations ?