BBC 1 is driving me insane!!!

Aim your telly at Crosspool's transmitter and you might have more joy.

No, aim your aerial at Crosspool. :hihi:

If you want to tune into the Tapton Hill transmitter, make sure your aerial is rotated so the spokes are vertical (perpendicular to ground). However, you will need a wideband aerial to receive channel 5.

No, aim your aerial at Crosspool. :hihi:

If you want to tune into the Tapton Hill transmitter, make sure your aerial is rotated so the spokes are vertical (perpendicular to ground). However, you will need a wideband aerial to receive channel 5.

Er - no! As a TV aerial erector for many years, I can tell you that just turning the aerial round to point at Crosspool and twisting it vertical has a 90% chance of NOT working!

The reason is the aerials are different.

There are 4 sorts of aerial, depending on the transmitter they are designed to use. The difference is in the length of the prongs, hich are suited to the frequency of the transmitter.

Group A

These are suitable for Crosspool and the Belmont transmitter near Louth, which is used by some people in Sheffield area.

Group B

These are tuned to Emley Moor, and small infill transmitters like Totley Rise

Group C/D

Suitable for small infill transmitters like Wincobank.

Wideband

These are a sort of jack-of-all-trades aerial which will receive any transmitter, but are not so sensitive as a proper grouped aerial. And as they man said, the Ch5 signal at Crosspool is broadcast out-of-group. In other words, BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Ch4 are braodcast in Group A, but Ch5 is broadcast in Group C/D, so you need a wideband aerial to get it - and even then, it's at much-reduced power, so doesn't come in very well.

The problem with reception that was described by the original post sounds to me like water in the aerial cable.. this can result in erratic reception, good on some channels, bad on others.. and varying from time to time. A new cable will probably fix it perfectly.

You can;t use a Group B aerial, designed for Emley Moor to receive properly from Crosspool.

Er - no! As a TV aerial erector for many years, I can tell you that just turning the aerial round to point at Crosspool and twisting it vertical has a 90% chance of NOT working!

The reason is the aerials are different.

There are 4 sorts of aerial, depending on the transmitter they are designed to use. The difference is in the length of the prongs, hich are suited to the frequency of the transmitter.

Group A

These are suitable for Crosspool and the Belmont transmitter near Louth, which is used by some people in Sheffield area.

Group B

These are tuned to Emley Moor, and small infill transmitters like Totley Rise

Group C/D

Suitable for small infill transmitters like Wincobank.

Wideband

These are a sort of jack-of-all-trades aerial which will receive any transmitter, but are not so sensitive as a proper grouped aerial. And as they man said, the Ch5 signal at Crosspool is broadcast out-of-group. In other words, BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Ch4 are braodcast in Group A, but Ch5 is broadcast in Group C/D, so you need a wideband aerial to get it - and even then, it's at much-reduced power, so doesn't come in very well.

The problem with reception that was described by the original post sounds to me like water in the aerial cable.. this can result in erratic reception, good on some channels, bad on others.. and varying from time to time. A new cable will probably fix it perfectly.

You can;t use a Group B aerial, designed for Emley Moor to receive properly from Crosspool.

Yes, I was well aware of that, I just didn't want to split hairs. Having worked as an engineer at Emley Moor for 27 years, I do have a fair understanding on aerials. I'm not sure what the UHF channels are from Crosspool, but I do know that channel 5 is well out of range from the other four.

The UHF Channels from Emley Moor for the 5 analogue channels are:

BBC1 - 44

BBC2 - 51

ITV1 - 47

CH4 - 41

CH5 - 37

These frequencies belong in group B, hence you would need a group B aerial with the spokes pointing horizontally if you wish to receive signals from Emley Moor.