Shanty Town Tyler Street

My father lived in Munitions Street before WWI. Can anyone tell me where that street was in relation to Tyler Street? And was it a slum? My great grandfather worked in the steel factory - would that be Shackleton's?

Edited by Kevin Straw

My father lived in Munitions Street before WWI. Can anyone tell me where that street was in relation to Tyler Street? And was it a slum? My great grandfather worked in the steel factory - would that be Shackleton's?

hi my aunt lived on tyler street in the old back to back houses next to a doctor surgery anyone remember them i think they backed on to tipston street j

Algy - My father's birth certificate shows that he was born in Munitions Street in 1904. Do you think there was a street there before WWI?

I was born on Tyler Street and my Gran had the shop on Jenkin road behind the doctors surgery (drs Lawson and Clarke) she remembered the huts and knew some who lived there. Weston was my aunts name and I believe she lived there a short while when first married, Shepherd was Nans name, she started married life on Tipton Street, with a strange address something like 1 1/2 row 2 or something like that then moved to Jenkin Road.

I was born on Tyler Street and my Gran had the shop on Jenkin road behind the doctors surgery (drs Lawson and Clarke) she remembered the huts and knew some who lived there. Weston was my aunts name and I believe she lived there a short while when first married, Shepherd was Nans name, she started married life on Tipton Street, with a strange address something like 1 1/2 row 2 or something like that then moved to Jenkin Road.[/quote hi i remember shepherds shop on jenkin hill often used to go in there after school

One of my earliest memories was of my uncle, who played piano in a little band back in the 30's, talking about having a gig to go to at the Petre St huts. Apparently it was a bit rough, lots of fights etc;a guy would go up to the band and say 'Play a fox trot', or 'Play a waltz', and they did because the the guy would have a razor sticking out of his top pocket. And he was running the dance. They always got paid though.

I do believe my grandmother sold the shop at the bottom of Jenkin road to your grandparents. My grandmother then bought my mother Kathleen Tagg the hairdressers shop at 29 Tyler Street for her 21st, where I was born in 1949

Just in case this question has not been answered, Munition St I"m sure ran paralell to Petre St on the south side across Carwood Rd, just before it dropped to Carlisle St.

Swowls I lived at 27 Tyler Street, my mum used the hairdressers. My Grandparents bought the shop in the 40's from I think some one called Thacker, I'm not 100% sure of that name my memories fading! I remember someone going to the outside toilet at the hairdressers and having a heart attack while there and no one could get in to help! Must have been around 1964 ish. I remember the Stanniland family and Birkby family were our neighbours. And a dog called Rebel. Wow memories flooding back!

Does anyone remember Donald Dawson and Freddy Guite? The Wilsons lived on Walling Road. My Aunt Lil and Unble Bill lived on Hayland St almost across from Brightside School. The Baumbers lived at the bottom of Walling Rd. My sister still lives in Sheffield behind Granville College. I did my 16 years at Firth Browns prior to moving to California.

---------- Post added 27-10-2014 at 22:37 ----------

27 must have been one of the houses behind the Baumbers, a little down from the bus stop. Denise Baumber was my age. I do not remember anything happening in the outside toilet, and I lived at 29 my mothers hairdressers in 1964, that was the year I started work, and left Hinde House.

my dad lived on tyler street huts (frank salter) then moved to southey green his dad worked at tempeborough steel works