Shanty Town Tyler Street

There was a booklet published about Tyler Street Huts and I have a copy but it is in Sheffield and I am in New Zealand.

I believe they became vermin ridden and had to be burned declared unfit to live in.

I guess you could get a look at a copy of the booklet in the Local studies library or some bookseller who deals in local booklets such as Rare & Racy. Memories or at a local book fayre.

Hope this helps

Happy Days!

Hi there

Just joined.

Have just been speaking to my Father In Law, Norman Johnson who has

been telling me about Tyler Street Huts where he used to live as a child.

Later on the family moved to No 88 Limpsfield Road, Brightside. Please get in touch.

My email is : [email protected]

Tony

when i lived on limpsfield brian woodhead lived at number 88

Hello Tony. Would you ask your Father in Law if the huts were built on both sides of Tyler Street? I know they were where the industrial estate is now but wondered if there were any at the top of the railway embankment. Thanks.

Hi Cat, saw your message to Tony. My dad also lived in the Tyler St. Hutments and I have a couple of photos of them taken from picturesheffield. In the Sheffield central library there is a booklet called "Shanty Town" Childhood Memories of poverty, Happiness in Tyler St. Munition Huts by Betty Dickinson 1985.I have tried to find a copy but to no avail as yet.

Hello Anita, this thread keeps going. With a bit of luck some more information may turn up. I can remember the area of the Tyler Street Huts as a kid, although the huts were long gone, there were remains of concrete fences and steps.

Hi Anita, I bought Betty Dickinsons booklet many years ago ( I probably still have it in my attic as I never throw books away), but I seem to think she wrote 2 or 3 books about life in Wincobank. I remember them being fascinating reading. When I get a spare hour or 2 I'll hunt them down.

Hi Anita, I bought Betty Dickinsons booklet many years ago ( I probably still have it in my attic as I never throw books away), but I seem to think she wrote 2 or 3 books about life in Wincobank. I remember them being fascinating reading. When I get a spare hour or 2 I'll hunt them down.

That's fantastic alirosdan, I wish I could find a copy of that or any of the others. If you find the titles would you let me know please? Anita:) :)

Just been told by my brother that our parents lived there for a while before being moved to Parson Cross.

Anita,

I've just been in my attic but unfortunately the batteries died on my torch so I was unable to find all 3 books. I did however, find the last one that Betty Dickinson wrote. It's called 'Never Far From Wincobank Hill'. The front cover says it is by the author of 'Shanty Town' and 'Dahn T' Village to Wincobank'.

Anita,

I've just been in my attic but unfortunately the batteries died on my torch so I was unable to find all 3 books. I did however, find the last one that Betty Dickinson wrote. It's called 'Never Far From Wincobank Hill'. The front cover says it is by the author of 'Shanty Town' and 'Dahn T' Village to Wincobank'.

Thanks very much for that info alirosdan I am going to try Rare and Racy to see if they have got any copies. Anita

My Grandfather lived here when he was a child ... if anyone remembers Alexander Williamson please message me as id love to put my Grandfather in touch with you