Shanty Town Tyler Street

Do any of you oldies out there remember "the hutments" aka Shanty town located on Tyler street Brightside/Wincobank. Whilst researching the family tree I discovered that my father lived there for most of his childhood. He never told us any of this and it has been quite a surprise! I have found a couple of photos but I am desperate to find out more. Where he went to school ,did anyone know him or his family etc. His surname was Webb and both he and his father were called Charles. The family were relocated to Parson Cross. Hope to hear from someone soon. Anita:help:

Do I take it that the Shanty Town you refer to was the former Prisoner of War Camp which was constructed during the 1914-18 war? I remember going there once with a school friend who lived there with his parents. Absolutely diabolical place to live and should have been cleared long before the second world war started.

Frankly, the buildings were mainly brick-built hovels. Anyone living there would have been better off in a slum dwelling. Okay for prisoners of war, perhaps, but not certainly not fit for Sheffield’s residents — not by a long chalk!

Hello Anita. Although an oldie. they were a bit before my time. My parents were born and raised in Brightside and always referred to them as Tyler Street Huts. I'm not sure but I think a lot of them were burnt down during bombing in WW2. I seem to remember reading that Tyler St. huts along with Petre St. huts were built to accomodate steel workers and their families.

Thanks for your replies. The huts were apparently built to store munitions during the first world war and were, it seems , made mainly of wood as I understand it. There is a small booklet written by Betty Dickinson in 1985 called "Shanty Town "Childhood Memories of poverty and happines in Tyler Street munition huts. If anyone has a copy they would like to sell or knows where I could find a copy I would be most grateful. Anita:thumbsup:

Hello again Anita. After reading your post about them being munitions huts, I looked on Picture Sheffield .com. Both Petre St. and Tyler St. huts are referred to as munitions huts. Were they adapted to housing after WW1 I wonder? If you find any more info, please let us know.

Hi Cat. thanks for your reply and query. All I know about the hutments is what I have gleaned from the booklet I mentioned previously. A copy of the booklet is in the Sheffield Central Library and I am desperate to own a copy for myself. I know that my father must have spent most, if not all his chidhood there. His family were originally from the Stroud area and were living in the courts on Suffolk Road when he was born in 1917 but I dont know when they moved to Tyler St or when they moved to Parson Cross. They were still on Tyler St in 1936. I am certain he was there as a young man as my mum lived on Limpsfield Rd Brightside and they must have met, if not at school ,:thumbsup: then in the area somehow. My family were not great talkers and did not really mention their childhoods at all. If I find out anymore I will certainly let you know. Anita

The huts were originally built at the beginning of the 1st World War to house Belgian refugees. Soon after there was a serious shortage of housing caused by the influx of extra workers for the steel works. The huts were fitted with internal partitions and converted into family housing units. The huts were close to and overlooking the steel works. The first street of huts was named Munitions Street, and it stood until the outbreak of the 2nd World War, when it was demolished as a fire hazard. Some of the huts found their way into Derbyshire where they were erected as weekend homes. (From Sheffield City Batallion by Gibson & Oldfield).

Thanks Algy, You cleared that one up nicely.

The huts were originally built at the beginning of the 1st World War to house Belgian refugees.

Just a little history

In the first few days and weeks of World War 1, the Kaiser's boys captured a big chunk of Belgium and France before their advance was brought to a halt. This caused a massive number of refugees to flee ahead of the advancing German army.

Belgium was particualry bad. It's not a large country to begin with and the part not occupied by the Germans could only absorb so many refugees. They couldn't go to France because their remaining territory was already filling up with their own refugees. Therefore, it was decided to bring as many Belgian refugees as possible to Britain. Tyler Street and Petre Street huts were where they refugees were housed in Sheffield.

The job of accomodating, clothing and feeding the refugees from Belgium ( what was know as Belgian Relief) was a huge operation. As we all know, Britain had enough problems with the war effort at the time, without the added responsibility of handling refugees; however, the plight of these people was considerd to be so bad (the newspapers had a field day showing terrible pictures of women and kids) that public opinion demanded that something be done.

Britain provided the housing and whatever food and clothing they could spare; however, a goodly part of the supplies for the refugees came from North America: some from Canada, but mainly from the US. America was not even in the war then and didn't join until 1917, but American newspapers had shown the same photos.

Regards

I met an elderly gentleman yesterday, who, as a child, lived on Lyon Street between Petre Street and Carlisle Street. He told me that the Huts had their own Fire Brigade. One of his little pleasures was to go and watch them practising fire fighting on Sunday mornings.

I met an elderly gentleman yesterday, who, as a child, lived on Lyon Street between Petre Street and Carlisle Street. He told me that the Huts had their own Fire Brigade. One of his little pleasures was to go and watch them practising fire fighting on Sunday mornings.

The Sheffield Battalion book I mentioned earlier says that the residents formed several volunteer fire brigades, and used to have competitions on a piece of flat ground behind Munitions Street. From what you say it sounds as if it was a spectator sport too !

Hi there

Just joined.

Have just been speaking to my Father In Law, Norman Johnson who has

been telling me about Tyler Street Huts where he used to live as a child.

Later on the family moved to No 88 Limpsfield Road, Brightside. Please get in touch.

My email is : [email protected]

Tony