Sign in to follow this  

Help with cat that seems to have adopted us!

This probably sounds a bit lame, but for the last week and a bit, a cat has been hanging around our house and playing in our garden, and has only left for an hour or too. She also keeps trying to get into the house, by making a mad dash when the door is open. We've fed her, as she hasnt really gone anywhere else to get food, and i feel a bit bad, but she wont go away. Under normal circumstances i would have taken her in, but she has a flea collar on, so i dont know whether she belongs to anyone or not. Shall i try to shoo her away or take her in. I'd love a pet cat, but my partner said its obviously someones pet, as it has a flea collar on, but i said if it was a pet, it would either have a collar with a return address on, or it'd hang around at is own home. Could anyone help advise us what is best to do please?

I'd stop feeding her for a week or two, and put a big tag on her collar to ask her owner to contact you.

I'd also put up some posters or post flyers through letter boxes asking if anyone knows about her, and contact local vets and the Sheffield Cats Shelter to see if she's on their lost and found register. They're on 2724441, and try to answer all calls between 1.30 and 4 daily.

If you don't have a response from any of these then I think you're perfectly safe to take her in and put your details on her collar (then get her to the vets to make sure that she's not going to give birth in the linen hamper!).

You could also try taking her to the vets to be scanned - if she has a chip, you'll be able to return her ;)

take it as a compliment.... cats tend to choose their own owners. My cat, Katie, is a beautiful cat and I got her when she was handed in at Attercliffe Police Station about 9 years ago. My boyfriend at the time told me it was him or the cat, conclusion hes history and I still have my cat. Katie now mostly lives at my next door neighbour but one choosing a quiet relaxed atmosphere but comes home when she wants some treats. I would put a note on her collar and ask around the neighbourhood, but wouldnt refuse her into your house. Good luck.