Sign in to follow this  

Nightmare house buying stories

I agree! I'm in the middle of trying to move to Sheffield from Kent. I've sold mine and eventually managed to buy in Sheffield, but what stress. Nobody from down here can believe that you offer first and then you go into a bidding war with other prospective buyers. It really isn't a fair system, it makes you pay more for something that maybe, really wasn't worth it paying those extra thousands for.

Wish me luck with the move :)

Originally posted by "nic"

I agree! I'm in the middle of trying to move to Sheffield from Kent. I've sold mine and eventually managed to buy in Sheffield, but what stress. Nobody from down here can believe that you offer first and then you go into a bidding war with other prospective buyers. It really isn't a fair system, it makes you pay more for something that maybe, really wasn't worth it paying those extra thousands for.

Wish me luck with the move :)

Well with you moving up from kent... you should be able to outbid any native sheffielder on a home! :D

oi :)

we're not ALL rich beyond our wildest dreams u know.

i'll be living by myself, which is hard on the pocket in itself. I must admit tho, I couldn't afford to buy anything anywhere near as good as what I've bought in Sheffield. I'm really looking forward to a new adventure. BTW, I bought with Haybrook, absolutely no problem at all.

oi :)

we're not ALL rich beyond our wildest dreams u know.

i'll be living by myself, which is hard on the pocket in itself. I must admit tho, I couldn't afford to buy anything anywhere near as good as what I've bought in Sheffield. I'm really looking forward to a new adventure. BTW, I bought with Haybrook, absolutely no problem at all.

Where abouts you made your property purchase may I ask?

In Beighton.

That's next to Sothall right?

The bidding system is fine for the sellers but only works when a property is popular. Less popular properties go the same route as anywhere: put a value on it and hope that someone comes near the asking price. Buyers can then bid below which happens when you find out a property has been around for a while.

We have fewer instances of gazumphing up here with our peculiar method though no doubt someone will come back with a contradictory story.

In Beighton.

That's next to Sothall right?

Yeah it's right next door!

Anytime you fancy a pint in the Gypsy Queen (Nr Crystal Peaks)... you'll find it, giz a shout! :D

This is a subject I know a bit about as I am a sales negotiator. It is up to the Estate agent whether or not they disclose any offers on a property to those who are bidding, and sometimes I am sure that the offers are inflated by the estate agent. A vendor is not always advised to take the highest offer but one in a position to proceed.

Muggins

I'm in the process of looking for a house at the moment. Looked at a few but not seen one yet to put an offer in. Looking to buy in S10 (Lodge Moor etc). Are the horror stories true about the bidding wars ? Our house is sold (STC).

Any hints, tips and advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Col S

Yes they do exist! Its taken me over six months of looking (plus another two months of the actual legal process of buying) to move up here from London.

Top tips:

-don't look at anything at the top end of your budget (allow around 10% slack for bidding - more for very popular areas!)

- check the property websites on a Thursday afternoon/evening - they usually are all updated by then (although Blundells sometimes has the odd property pop up on a Friday morning)

www.vebra.com - Blundells, Saxton Mee, Haybrook, Spencers

www.elr.co.uk

www.reedsrains.co.uk

www.winkworth.co.uk

www.halifax.co.uk

- try to arrange viewings that weekend or the next at the latest (popular houses quite often go within a couple of weeks)

- if you find something put in a low (but realistic offer) to register your interest

- try to find out from the agent if the vendor intends to go for sealed bids (this varies from agent to agent and whether there is a lot of interest in the property)

- keep chasing the agent (they won't tell you anything - they are incredibly complacent at the moment!), but sit tight and don't raise your offer until the vendor has agreed a closing date or the agent has decided that there are no more parties interested and wants to close the deal.

- if its sealed bids - don't disclose anything beyond your first offer and just offer what you can afford/what the property is worth to you

- if there is an open bidding war keep your nerve and remember its just like an auction -don't get carried away! and set an upper limit also don't go up in big jumps(£500 - £100 depending on your price bracket). I saw properties where people were bidding in £10k increments - it was madness!

- pray your vendor is not too eccentric (there seem to be a lot of them about) with strange ideas:not wanting to sell/ taking forever to make a decision/setting unrealistic completion deadlines/ignoring the agent and selling privately...

Lastly good luck - because you'll need it!

Originally posted by "mh"

Yes they do exist! Its taken me over six months of looking (plus another two months of the actual legal process of buying) to move up here from London.

Top tips:

-don't look at anything at the top end of your budget (allow around 10% slack for bidding - more for very popular areas!)

- check the property websites on a Thursday afternoon/evening - they usually are all updated by then (although Blundells sometimes has the odd property pop up on a Friday morning)

www.vebra.com - Blundells, Saxton Mee, Haybrook, Spencers

www.elr.co.uk

www.reedsrains.co.uk

www.winkworth.co.uk

www.halifax.co.uk

- try to arrange viewings that weekend or the next at the latest (popular houses quite often go within a couple of weeks)

- if you find something put in a low (but realistic offer) to register your interest

- try to find out from the agent if the vendor intends to go for sealed bids (this varies from agent to agent and whether there is a lot of interest in the property)

- keep chasing the agent (they won't tell you anything - they are incredibly complacent at the moment!), but sit tight and don't raise your offer until the vendor has agreed a closing date or the agent has decided that there are no more parties interested and wants to close the deal.

- if its sealed bids - don't disclose anything beyond your first offer and just offer what you can afford/what the property is worth to you

- if there is an open bidding war keep your nerve and remember its just like an auction -don't get carried away! and set an upper limit also don't go up in big jumps(£500 - £100 depending on your price bracket). I saw properties where people were bidding in £10k increments - it was madness!

- pray your vendor is not too eccentric (there seem to be a lot of them about) with strange ideas:not wanting to sell/ taking forever to make a decision/setting unrealistic completion deadlines/ignoring the agent and selling privately...

Lastly good luck - because you'll need it!

This is really useful info are you in the business? I'm not moving but will keep a copy of what you've said should I change my mind. :D

No I'm not in the business - I found out the hard way!