Sign in to follow this  

Whats your place famous for ?

Just been nattering about pies from Leicestershire in chat room, and that Rotherham's county council website says that its famous for some of Britain’s greatest inventions, including the screw-down water tap and the Bailey Bridge

What fascinating things is your hometown famous for ?

Birmingham is famous for having more miles of waterway than Venice :D

I don't suppose they're quite as picturesque (sp?) though :thumbsup:

Moved to general as it's not Sheffield specific.

well, Liverpool has two of the best teams on merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves. I'm actually from a part of Liverpool known as Crosby, where cherie blair comes from, which is nice! Fortunately not everyone in Crosby looks like her. Oh and a load of officers from the titanic were from Crosby too, so I've been told including the commander, captain smith. and there's also Kenny Everett and Anne Robinson. I apologize for the latter.

I'm from Oldham. A railway bridge on the main road in to the town centre welcomes you to "Oldham - the home of the tubular bandage". :D

There is more! It was the cotton capital of the world, the first test tube baby was born there. Lots of famous(ish) people came from there, including Bernard Cribbins, the Buzzcocks, Eric Sykes, Sarah Lancashire and various other Corrie people.

Originally posted by Andy78

well, Liverpool has two of the best teams on merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves. I'm actually from a part of Liverpool known as Crosby, where cherie blair comes from, which is nice! Fortunately not everyone in Crosby looks like her. Oh and a load of officers from the titanic were from Crosby too, so I've been told including the commander, captain smith. and there's also Kenny Everett and Anne Robinson. I apologize for the latter.

:o What about the Beatles?

I was exaggerating about Leicestershire pies incase you didn't realise, the only pies from Leicestershire are Melton Mowbray Pork Pies and Pukka Pies who's factory is located just outside Leicester.

Leicestershire is famous for Stilton and Red Leicester though, and loads of crisp and snack manufacturers are based in Leicestershire (Walkers, KP, Golden Wonder and formerly Smiths).

We used to make a lot of socks too, so I'm told.

Historically, Leicestershire is where one of the most significant battles in English history took place. Henry VII defeated Richard III in the Battle of Bosworth field, near Market Bosworth (my home town). The battle put an end to the war of the roses.

Leicester itself is a bit of a hole compared to Sheffield, but there are a few famous people from Leicester; including Gary Lineker, Cornershop, Englebert Humperdink, Mark Morrison, Emile Heskey, Showaddywaddy and Lee from Big Brother 3.

Originally posted by Andy78

sorry Andy, but captain John Edward Smith was from Hanley,Stoke on Trent

Originally posted by Lickszz

:o What about the Beatles?

Oh yeah, i believe there was a few lads in a band that caused a bit of a fuss too. I try and avoid that though as it's a bit obvious. There's a lot more to the city than the beatles.

Corby is (apparantly) the largest town in Europe without a passenger rail service, yet it is home to Europe's fastest racing circuit, Rockingham:

http://www.rockingham.co.uk

This may be a myth, byt apparantly, Corby is the biggest consumer of Irn Bru outside Scotland as well :D

Torquay - home of Sid Little :roll:

Originally posted by MrHelicopter

I'm from Oldham. A railway bridge on the main road in to the town centre welcomes you to "Oldham - the home of the tubular bandage". :D

There is more! It was the cotton capital of the world, the first test tube baby was born there. Lots of famous(ish) people came from there, including Bernard Cribbins, the Buzzcocks, Eric Sykes, Sarah Lancashire and various other Corrie people.

I'm from Oldham too. Erm...I think you've covered it all. Can't think why I left!