Broomhill Residents Parking commences 4th September

The charge is small and reasonable.

You may think so. That's your perogative. I don't:).

I expressed my opinions on this issue in the other thread, and got banned for my troubles.

Not really worth re-hashing old ground:):thumbsup:

A good start would be for the Universities of Sheffield with their vast amounts of wealth to build their own multi-storey car-parks (obviously at their own expense). This would bring a good few benefits:-

students and lecturers could park nearer to the main university blocks. This would also make folk feel safer, especially on dark evenings if these places were well-lit and manned;

it would remove loads of cars off the nearby streets, such as Crookesmoor Road. It might even negate the need for Parking Zones.

After all, what ARE the universities contributing towards solving these local traffic problems? They have plenty of land - let them use some of it and build decent sized car-parks.

They could charge for their use and this would also make one or two students think whether they really need to take their cars to their classes.

Hallam already have very strict criteria for allowing people (including lecturers) to bring their cars on campus. I'm sure Sheffield are the same. Just where do you think these multi storey car parks are going to go? People point at Collegiate and say they should make bigger car parks, but it's a conservation area and they would never get permission.

Sheffield Uni are in the HUMUS partnership with the hospitals trust and the city museum and the council. They are looking at sites for new car parks. Weston Park Hospital has recently had an application approved for a new multi storey. Norhtern General has an applicationin for a 900 space car park with a shuttle bus link to Hallamshire, Childrens etc.

Surely tho, for those people who've paid the broomhill property prices...should be allowed at least one free permit

I would like to hope that with all this money they're going to make that the bus prices will go down?? Or is that just wishful thinking?? I agree that most students don't NEED a car but sometime it would be nice...seeing as the buses only run vertically to my knowledge.

As for businesses. I know the kind of rates they have to pay and what do they get for it? probably jack all from the council because well they are just useless, hoard our money and waste it on stupid projects that always go wrong.....

As for uni, the car parks have gradings so you can only park where allowed and I believe you do have to pay for certain permits apart from cat R ones. They don't need to build more car parks...going along with prescots 'let's just ruin this country completely by building on everything green' they just need better bus services. It's not hard. Only for those complete imcompentants that run this country.

Surely tho, for those people who've paid the broomhill property prices...should be allowed at least one free permit

I would like to hope that with all this money they're going to make that the bus prices will go down?? Or is that just wishful thinking?? I agree that most students don't NEED a car but sometime it would be nice...seeing as the buses only run vertically to my knowledge.

As for businesses. I know the kind of rates they have to pay and what do they get for it? probably jack all from the council because well they are just useless, hoard our money and waste it on stupid projects that always go wrong.....

As for uni, the car parks have gradings so you can only park where allowed and I believe you do have to pay for certain permits apart from cat R ones. They don't need to build more car parks...going along with prescots 'let's just ruin this country completely by building on everything green' they just need better bus services. It's not hard. Only for those complete imcompentants that run this country.

The permit charges go to pay for the operation, enforcement adn maintenance of the scheme. Any surplus can be used for highways and road safety schemes. We can't use such surpluses to subsidise bus services, these are provided on a commercial basis, that is the way the Government wants it. As things stand, the Council can't control public transport services or prices.

Does the council know you're on here for them?? I'm sure the council has enough sway that something could be done, schemes could be put into place to help us people that have to live in broomhill, and for those that come from further out.

As for your road safety schemes...do you know how many people in london die a year from all these 'taffic calming' measures? 500 because ambulances can't get there in time because of all the 20mph zones.

Can't you put no stopping along fulwood road, and stop those mothers with one child in the hugest cars from stopping there? Make those schools implement a walking bus...how fabulous that would not only be in line with active kids (govts obesity reducing schemes), and my goodness help the environment. Now maybe that's too smart....

As things stand, the Council can't control public transport services or prices.

Maybe you should then :)

I remember the day bus fares went from 5p to the 'going rate' in the 80's

Congestion increased overnight masses

If the buses here were reliable and good value and actually ran useful routes then you wouldnt have half the aggro I reckon planner1

First axed the best bus route for me to visit family at the Hallamshire last year

Is this a service improvement? Or blatant capitalism? Let me think.......

Buses should be part of the public services, they will only ever serve a few obvious profitable routes when shareholders have a stake - obvious really

Dont count on the buses

d

Does the council know you're on here for them?? I'm sure the council has enough sway that something could be done, schemes could be put into place to help us people that have to live in broomhill, and for those that come from further out.

As for your road safety schemes...do you know how many people in london die a year from all these 'taffic calming' measures? 500 because ambulances can't get there in time because of all the 20mph zones.

Can't you put no stopping along fulwood road, and stop those mothers with one child in the hugest cars from stopping there? Make those schools implement a walking bus...how fabulous that would not only be in line with active kids (govts obesity reducing schemes), and my goodness help the environment. Now maybe that's too smart....

Yes, I'm on here in my capacity as a Council Transport Planner and lead officer for residents parking schemes.

We're aware of the drawbacks of traffic calming schemes, but people will only slow down if you make them. It's a balancing act. The schemes themselves undoubtedly save lives.

All schools in Sheffield will have a school travel plan over the next few years. Many have them already. Walking bus is one of many initiatives included in the school travel planning process. It is down to the individual school to decide what is best for their particular circumstances.

Maybe you should then :)

I remember the day bus fares went from 5p to the 'going rate' in the 80's

Congestion increased overnight masses

If the buses here were reliable and good value and actually ran useful routes then you wouldnt have half the aggro I reckon planner1

First axed the best bus route for me to visit family at the Hallamshire last year

Is this a service improvement? Or blatant capitalism? Let me think.......

Buses should be part of the public services, they will only ever serve a few obvious profitable routes when shareholders have a stake - obvious really

Dont count on the buses

d

We are as frustrated as anyone else with the current situation and would probably agree with you that there should be more local control on bus services, as there is still in London. This is something you need to take up with your MP as it is Government policy

What's the likleyhood of this scheme being extended to Walkley ?

Well yes it is...but at the same time the council seem quite keen to throw their weight and money around in certain areas and not in others.

A walking bus could be pushed onto schools. Yes it would involve money, but everything does these days. You could push it as part of the heartbeat project, I think it's called that. It really wouldn't be hard ..I'm sure a lot of parents would go for such a thing as it would cut their time to work if there was a drop off point, and other road users would be so thankful that these stupid mothers who jus stop in the middle of the road are taken away.

What about using money to invest in 'selective' speed humps, sleeping policemen? So that the emergency services can have them retracted. That way lives will be saved. Speed humps don't really stop people if thei car has the capability to go over them. Sheffield is rife with the god awful Dodge things and other disgusting cars.

I'm sure the council has enough sway that something could be done, schemes could be put into place to help us people that have to live in broomhill, and for those that come from further out.

That's exactly what the residents parking scheme is doing. Providing priority for residents and providing better short stay parking oppotrtunities for businesses, shops, hospitals etc.

People who come into the area to work generally have transport choices, but it is just easier to use the car. When itis more difficult to park, many will need to consider their transport options more closely an some will decide that other modes of transport are now more attractive / less difficult than the car. Thus there should be some modal shift away from car use. There will still be over 500 unrestricted parking spaces within the Broomhill scheme.

What's the likleyhood of this scheme being extended to Walkley ?

The next one after Sharrow Vale is Crookesmoor, I believe Walkley is a little far out for the Peripheral Parking Zone but we are looking at requests from suburban areas like yours.