Abandoned Ford Mondeo on Snake Pass???

That section as you drop down off the top of the moor coming back to sheffield is great (where the sandstone wall is). You have a clear view for about 3/4 mile and can overtake all the way down, including, IIRC, on the bridged corners.

Your mother must be so proud.

Not necessarily true. A powerful car can overtake more safely than a slower one, as it is "exposed to danger" on the opposite side of the road for less time. This may mean that the speed limit is exceeded for a short time. Illegal, yes, but not dangerous if executed correctly. Certainly far safer than the idiots I've seen trying to overtake on the uphill sections in a car completely unsuited to the task and not able to get back in before the double white lines start again!

Oh, don't start this again. Someone always thinks they know better than the speed limit...."I know what I'm doing, my car is powerful enough to do it". No you don't. You're arrogant and dangerous.

So no matter the weather and road conditions, on an NSL single carriageway it is always safe to travel at 59.9 mph and always extremely dangerous to travel at 60.1 mph? Right you are then.

So no matter the weather and road conditions, on an NSL single carriageway it is always safe to travel at 59.9 mph and always extremely dangerous to travel at 60.1 mph? Right you are then.

Yes that's exactly what she's saying.

I bet you're so proud your dazzling wit is here for all of about 6 people to see....

Yes that's exactly what she's saying.

So it's safe to drive at 59.9 mph in thick fog, or when it's ******* it down and you have visibility of about 20 feet? No of course it isn't, if you have any intelligence at all you slow down. Equally it can be perfectly safe to exceed a speed limit if the weather and road conditions are suitable - it remains illegal, and I don't suggest you make a habit of it, but a number on a stick can never be an absolute safe speed, it will frequently be far too fast , and often it would be safe to exceed it - although as I say illegal, and not to be encouraged.

Still, whatever, believe what you like, it's off topic anyway.

'Oh, don't start this again. Someone always thinks they know better than the speed limit...."I know what I'm doing, my car is powerful enough to do it". No you don't. You're arrogant and dangerous.'

Sorry but i do that journey at least once or twice a day and there are quite a few sections to overtake on snake pass SAFELY. Ok there are some drivers that might be irresponsible and treat it as a race track :o

Your mother must be so proud.

Yes, she is thanks.

I'm in no way condoning speeding, dangerous driving or reckless attitudes on the roads. All i'm saying is that on this section you have a long, clear view of the road and can overtake safely. There's no need to claim that you can't overtake on the snake when you clearly can when it's safe and legal to do so.

Oh, don't start this again. Someone always thinks they know better than the speed limit...."I know what I'm doing, my car is powerful enough to do it". No you don't. You're arrogant and dangerous.

No. As others have said, the safe speed for the conditions varies for lots of reasons, such as weather, visibility, road surface properties etc.

It is up to every driver to take the responsibility to judge the safe speed. What the authorities do by posting fixed speed limits and enforcing them blindly is encouraging people like you to think that if they drive at or below the speed limit they are safe. Seeing as we're talking about the Snake Pass look at the common example of the 15 car crocodile all following nose to tail, far too close, all daydreaming on autopilot.

You may not like the thought, but when you are driving your vehicle around, *you* are responsible for what happens and whether you cause an accident. That's you, not some bureaucrat in authority who came up with the posted speed limit.

anyway, GETTING BACK ON TOPIC

has Reggie Perrin returned yet?

Hate to say this folks, but please don't try to turn this into a debate on speeding rights/wrongs. There is another thread about the safety of the Snake Pass about on the forum- that is the place for this sort of comment (and please try to keep it respectful there too).