The Deep End pub in Hillsborough - to reopen as The Rawson Spring (Wetherspoon).

Mod: Threads merged.

The Deepend is one of the first gigs the the Artic Monkeys played, I can't believe alot of people on here want it to be a townie wetherspoons joint, the venue is an ideal place to have live bands playing, I saw so many talented acts getting up on the jam sessions on a Sunday afternoon, if I'd got the money i'd turn it back into a music venue that it should always be, the Artic Monkeys have now put Sheffield back on the music map and have silenced the bbc look leeeeeds raving on about the Kieser chiefs, let us learn from a big mistake Liverpool made when they knocked down the original Cavern after the Beatles made it big.

I agree with Jan39, The Deepend was a great place for live music and Ive heard that the Malin has taken over from the Deepend for ''Can U Jam''

How ridiculous is that?

Im not saying The Malin is an awful pub, but lets face it, its not exactly full of people, who, lets say, ''appreciate'' that kind of thing.

The Deepend end was the only decent Pub in Hillsborough, even though the Chavs still got in. I think with a bit of a rethink, someone could turn this into an up and coming Live music venue for Sheffields future talents to showcase their stuff.

If it does open up as weatherspoons the council are asking for it really. Think of all the Chavs and the even cheaper drinks and 2 for 1 offers. This will cause more binge drinking 16 year olds causing trouble at night on the streets of hillsborough!! Anyway, apart from anything else, who wants to go out to a pub with no music or atmosphere?

While a Wetherspoons is not necessarily to everyone's taste (mine included), it's got to be better than a boarded up eyesore. Let's face it, if the pub had been doing that much business, it's unlikely that it would have shut down in the first place... and you never know, they might bring the turns back if the demand is there.

I have been in the Deep end only a couple of times, but I learned to swim there and grew up in hillsborough.

I now live in Woodseats and that area is very well served by the Woodseats Palace a wetherspoons pub. It is always full and opens to midnight every day. The food is ok and there is always a good variety of drinks on offer, although they often sell out of some brands, as wetherspoons rely on buying up huge quantities of older date code drinks. During the day the place is full of pensioners and retired people having a glass of something. Despite how busy it is, it always seems clean, and the toilets are excellent, although upstairs.

One of the best things about wetherspoons is that it's a place with no TVs or music so you can go for a good chat with your mates, without distraction or interruption. Like an old pub should be in my opinion. In contrast all the other pubs in the district have sky TV and music, also they tend to have a high ceiling and a large no smoking zone, so people who don't like smoke can go there without smelling like an ashtray afterwards. Also there is always good wheelchair acces. You can take your choice. Wetherspoons has considerably improved the pub life in the district of Woodseats, and there's no reason why the same thing shouldn't happen in hillsborough, as they are similar districts in many ways.

I think it is unfair to compare a wetherspoons district pub to one in the centre of town, as the throughput is totally different. People in town tend to go in for one drink whereas people in local districts tend to be more relaxed. The ones in town tend to be dirtier as the staff have to spend more time serving than cleaning up glass, broken glass and wiping tables.

The point Phil makes about your choice of accomodation,was the next point I was going to make,surely anyone with commonsense knows if you live 40 feet from a pub front door,you can expect some problems.

sorry but thats wrong, thats like saying if you lived next to nice neighbour, who suddenly became really noisy neighbour you couldnt complain as you shuold have thought about that before buying the house . You can only judge an area/ or pub on the situation at present you cant second guess whats gonna happen, if circumstances change then you are fully within you rights to moan about it.

sorry but thats wrong, thats like saying if you lived next to nice neighbour, who suddenly became really noisy neighbour you couldnt complain as you shuold have thought about that before buying the house .
You've misunderstood I think. The point was that if you move near to a pub then I think it's a bit silly to then complain about any negative points of living near a pub. And in either case, the surrounding area IS something you should consider when you buy a house - how thick are the walls? will i be disturbed by next doors telly? can next door build an extension? are there any plans to knock down the surrounding area and build a nuclear waste dump? etc are all questions that someone with commonsense should consider.

You can only judge an area/ or pub on the situation at present you cant second guess whats gonna happen, if circumstances change then you are fully within you rights to moan about it.

Partially agreed - if a property is to become a pub then there's not much chance you could foresee it. However, that's why they have to apply for a licence (to which you can object).

I also think that any vaguely sane person would have realised that the antiquated licensing hours restrictions would be relaxed one day.

Just read a sign on the now boarded-up deep end at hillsborough that J D Wetherspoons have applied for a licence to serve some beer and stuff here. What do people think? Im not a big fan of Wetherspoons myself but it may make others happy!

I will be nice to have a decent pub in hillsborough - would make me visit it if they do food too. Prefer clubbing to going to pubs.

Think food was mention, was still half asleep/sobering up when i read it this morning. Said open till midnight sunday to thurs, 1am fri and sat.