The Deep End pub in Hillsborough - to reopen as The Rawson Spring (Wetherspoon).

well i aint been to hillsborough baths since it was a pool, an bin last night an cant believe what its like! its different but the same, have to say got served quick an service was good not had owt to eat there yet though... but was great lol

I went in there for the first time recently and as far as Hillsborough pubs go and as far as chain pubs go, it's not that bad as long as you go in the afternoon. I know that's not exactly glowing praise but there's nothing particularly impressive about the place in it's own right, it reminds me of a disused railway station that's been converted into a pub. The New Barrack Tavern is still the only boozer around there that I enjoy spending time in.

We used to enjoy the Barrack,but not been in for 18 months due the real ale price(£2.30 4.4% for a guest ale last time I went in{final straw}) give us a break Tynemill. And the enforced music/band policy(e.g. if you don't enjoy them,lump it).Shame cus we used to love it before when James use to own the pub.

Just vote with yer feet,it's the only power as a comsumer we have!

Who cares- its cheaper. As we have our hard earned cash pilfered at every opportunity i have no reservations buying cheap if its as good (OR BETTER!! ) as the alternatives.

Hear! Hear!

Just been in, and although busy, got a table. Smashing to see older generations(65+) mixing with youngsters and enoying the nice weather on a weekend.

I personally liked it, good range of real ale (sellin fast),it looks very nice,good job all round(better than the Deep End by 1000%)

I'm sure novelty will soon wear off and things will level off as with all things.Just get yourselves down there people and keep this pub a NICE place to go for a bite to eat or just a few beers. :)

Hands up. I too have had decent food in Lloyds No 1. I'm not sure however if this was before the chain was bought out by Wetherspoon or whether they've always been a part of Wetherspoon but offered better standards throughout.

But the Banker's Draft is one of the worst holes I've ever been in and the Wetherspoon pub in Lincoln (overlooking Brayford Pool) was also incredibly filthy. The beer was that cheap I honestly thought they'd only charged me for one drink.

So within half and hour you have slammed W'spoons menu as dog food,then 30 mins later admit to liking it!

As for the Lincoln W'spoons,the old theatre one(I forget the name, is a quite a nice pub)

To say you don't like the brand, you seem to know a lot about their pubs!

Is anyone a 'regular' in here yet I wonder?

Most people won't make many return visits until they sort the problems out. Who is going to wait 15 minutes in a scrum to get a drink every time, or tolerate bad food. They'll just go somewhere else. Why have an enormous bar if only 3 people are serving. Imagine it when Wednesday are at home.

They'll just go somewhere else. Why have an enormous bar if only 3 people are serving. Imagine it when Wednesday are at home.

The Rawson Spring and a visit to Hillsborough seem to have one thing in common.

Most folk soon discover that one visit is enough.:hihi:

But you're right about these huge places which are supposed to cater for a large number of customers only for the management to rely on about three members of staff.

The Stone House used to be renowned for this!

So within half and hour you have slammed W'spoons menu as dog food,then 30 mins later admit to liking it!

As for the Lincoln W'spoons,the old theatre one(I forget the name, is a quite a nice pub)

To say you don't like the brand, you seem to know a lot about their pubs!

I did have a pop at Wetherspoon's in general and admit that I forgot that Lloyds No 1 was (now) under their ownership. I also admit that I'm not sure if the Lloyds chain has always been under Wetherspoon's control or whether it was recently bought by them. I was thus reminded that I HAD enjoyed some food at a Wetherspoon pub, albeit one under the Lloyds banner.

As such, I admitted that I was wrong. Having said that, my experience of eating in Wetherspoon's pubs per se, is a very poor one - especially in Banker's Draft whose food was akin to what one might feed a dog.

One reason why I enjoy visiting other towns and cities is it gives me the chance to visit new pubs. I could hardly comment on here could I if I had never ventured into a Wetherspoon's pub! The one I visited in Lincoln was on the Brayford pool waterfront, a lovely development.

The pub was a hole. I daren't even put a few quid in the quiz machine because you couldn't see the screen due to grime. The carpet really did stick to your shoes. I gave the toilets a miss. Having said this, many a pub in Lincoln could do with a lick of paint.

So yes, I don't think much of the brand at all. I wouldn't eat in a Wetherspoon pub (but I'd try Lloyds again; clearly, the two companies are run on different lines) and frankly I'd visit any pub just to see what it was like.

Even went in the Rock Tavern once....,

The Rawson Spring is a Lloyds No.1 pub, as is the Bankers Draft nowadays.

The menu is exactly the same as a 'standard' 'Spoons.

Went in on Friday night with the other half. Seemed to have a decent selection of guest ales in. Not bad inside really.

Really disappointed with the food though. Used one of the vouchers that was posted through my door for Fish and Chips (2 for £6). Two really small portions arrived (I counted just 13 chips on my plate), no peas, no salad, no lemon slice and a small piece of fish that was chewy as hell. Very, very poor food.

I left the remainder of the vouchers for the "special offers" on my plate as, to be honest, I'd rather spend an extra couple of quid and get a decent meal. The meals weren't a "special offer", they were just half the size of a normal meal and a bit more. Felt ripped off and went to the Barrack Tavern instead.

Went in last thursday, Took ages to get served. Funny thing is some people just walked to the bar and did get served....before me, dont think it was personal, just young inexperienced bar staff. Too few to cope with the amount of customers. Very nice looking place inside so good I nearly forgot it was hillsborough :hihi::hihi: ended up going on the whisky felt rough next day ....good night out me thinks!

Went in on saturday teatime and again in the evening:hihi:

Thought it was excellent and had no trouble getting served although it was very busy. Staff didn't look too happy though.

Think the outside area is fantastic and was very popular. A clean, safe feeling and enjoyable pub imo. They just need to make sure they keep the riff-raff out (of which there are many in hillsboro!!)

Prices also a real bonus.