The Deep End pub in Hillsborough - to reopen as The Rawson Spring (Wetherspoon).

I was the one who came and had a nosy through the door window of Weatherspoons when you were in the doorway last Sunday... :wave::wave:

Ahh now I know who you are ;)

OK...someone please enlighten me....WHAT is a Rawson Spring....does it have a Sheffield reference....does it mean anything to the area......or was it just the next on the corporate list of stupid names?

Means a lot to the area, and in fact refers to Rawson Spring Wood named after the Rawsons, an ancient family of tanners of Walkley and Wardsend.

Rawson Spring Wood was close by the junction of Walkley lane and Walkley road and there was a spring of water here that fed a stream that ran down to the Loxley. It followed approximately the line of Hammerton road, under Langsett road and down the side of the Barracks; then under Penistone road and into the river Loxley. Presumably the stream was diverted into the barracks to keep the tanks topped up with fresh water.

The spring is probably still there in the grounds of the large building at grid ref: 53.396°N 1.4988°W on Google Earth. [and the ruins of Spring cottage ??]

Means a lot to the area, and in fact refers to Rawson Spring Wood named after the Rawsons, an ancient family of tanners of Walkley and Wardsend.

Rawson Spring Wood was close by the junction of Walkley lane and Walkley road and there was a spring of water here that fed a stream that ran down to the Loxley. It followed approximately the line of Hammerton road, under Langsett road and down the side of the Barracks; then under Penistone road and into the river Loxley. Presumably the stream was diverted into the barracks to keep the tanks topped up with fresh water.

The spring is probably still there in the grounds of the large building at grid ref: 53.396°N 1.4988°W on Google Earth. [and the ruins of Spring cottage ??]

I think a fella called Arthur Rodgers had that patch of land Greybeard, and i'm almost sure it had running water.

I think a fella called Arthur Rodgers had that patch of land Greybeard, and i'm almost sure it had running water.

Might go and have a look, but the Google images are two years old I think - so there is probably a block of flats there now :(

I'm moving to Hillsborough in August and was welcoming the idea of a Wspoons for employment having worked in one before in Lancaster. I'm worried now though as my fella and I like a nice local in the evenings (NOT a wspoons!) and it sounds as though there aren't very many/any nice pubs in Hillsborough! Someone help us out as we're going to be 'lost' when we get there!

I'm moving to Hillsborough in August and was welcoming the idea of a Wspoons for employment having worked in one before in Lancaster. I'm worried now though as my fella and I like a nice local in the evenings (NOT a wspoons!) and it sounds as though there aren't very many/any nice pubs in Hillsborough! Someone help us out as we're going to be 'lost' when we get there!

No Need To Worry.There's Plenty Of "Local" Type Pubs Just Up From Hillsborough, In Walkey. The Palm, The Florist, The Sportsman, The Crown To Name A Few And Then Of Course There's My Favourite "The Freedom" On South Road.:thumbsup:

And in the other direction you have The Hillsborough Hotel, New Barrack Tavern and the Meadow Street to name but a few. :)

The Rawson Spring seems to have come on leaps and bounds over the last week or so and is starting to look like somewhere that might be opening on Monday... :)

Lots of painting and finishing touches seem to be going on. There still looks like there's a lot to do though.

There were people inside last night well after 10pm, beavering away. Obviously a big push!

Wow, I've applied to work there ready for when I move to Walkley soon, no idea the place had been planned for 18 months! Still, at least I've got a load of info to impress the intervewers with: "Ahh so you're named after a spring?", "No need to show me around, I've seen the plans".

No Need To Worry.There's Plenty Of "Local" Type Pubs Just Up From Hillsborough, In Walkey. The Palm, The Florist, The Sportsman, The Crown To Name A Few And Then Of Course There's My Favourite "The Freedom" On South Road.:thumbsup:

Don't forget the Shakespeare, in the week a very nice pub, however on match day it's a free for all, come on you blue and white wizards.....

the rawson spring will be opening its doors a week on sunday