The Deep End pub in Hillsborough - to reopen as The Rawson Spring (Wetherspoon).

Oh I think so - we almost had one tonight except you didn't see me! :)

Called in again about 6, things had quietened down. Had a pint of Kelham Island Pale Rider - I don't think the woman who served me had ever pulled a pint of beer in her life but she got there in the end, and it wasn't bad at all (slightly too cold maybe, but this seems to be the norm in 'Spoons).

No music, but they probably start that later on. Might walk back later for another if I can be bothered.

I know what you mean about her not having pulled a pint of beer in her life as I had already been in earlier in the afternoon and she was struggling then.

I went in last night after work and had a few pints and some food. Was very busy, got one of only two tables left. However service wasn't too bad considering all the staff are new and still learning.

Decent beer range (including a couple brewed specially for that pub - Bradfield Rawson Spring Ale and Townes Belly Flop) at reasonable prices.

They do seem to have spent a lot of money on the place, it looks very smart, the scale of the work done will be appreciated by those who went when it was the Deep End bar.

Music comes on at 8pm. Sun-Thur it's the music videos, Fri/Sat they have a DJ.

I've heard there may be a live jazz club run one night a month (mid week).

There is also a heated outdoor drinking area for smokers (although this area closes earlier than the pub).

Apparantly in the first 24 hours open they got through 15 casks of real ale - assuming they were all 9 gallon casks thats 135 gallons of ale served - or 1080 pints!

Apparantly in the first 24 hours open they got through 15 casks of real ale - assuming they were all 9 gallon casks thats 135 gallons of ale served - or 1080 pints!

Yes, Meaks said he'd been in ;)

Oh and the bouncers are there to make it clear the roughnecks that go and fight in the other pubs and bars in Hillsborough aren't welcome - they are making an effort to keep it a nice pub.

Despite what selective propoganda Wetherspoons may have come out with regarding the level of security, the bouncers are only there so early because it was one of the conditions of their license. To be fair though, they made an excellent job of clearing the place of children and wasters this evening.

Customer service was very poor when it came to the vouchers - if they didn't have it then you were told to come back another day rather than being offered an alternative. Some of the stuff wasn't available at all.

Still, I've had several pints of 7.7% Thornbridge Imperial Stout on the cheap tonight (amongst others). :):banana:

Though Wetherspoons may be cheaper, dont forget about the small pubs that have served you previously! I dont want to hear people complaining that Wetherspoons is the only pub left, when small traditional pubs start closing when the 'Tesco' effect kicks in! It may be cheaper but what does it put back in to the local economy as far as its buying power apart from employment, not much. They buy very little from local breweries because they beat the price so low they cant afford to sell at those prices, and I doubt much of their food is bought locally as it is shipped in in vans and cooked solely pretty much in microwaves. Be warned!

Though Wetherspoons may be cheaper, dont forget about the small pubs that have served you previously! I dont want to hear people complaining that Wetherspoons is the only pub left, when small traditional pubs start closing when the 'Tesco' effect kicks in! It may be cheaper but what does it put back in to the local economy as far as its buying power apart from employment, not much. They buy very little from local breweries because they beat the price so low they cant afford to sell at those prices, and I doubt much of their food is bought locally as it is shipped in in vans and cooked solely pretty much in microwaves. Be warned!

Very true James, but Wetherspoons is at the moment the only pub in Hillsborough centre that I would want to be in anyway as they are all so dire

Very true James, but Wetherspoons is at the moment the only pub in Hillsborough centre that I would want to be in anyway as they are all so dire

Yep the rest are all somewhat less than attractive compared to the new venue in Hills......I cant see the older pubs surviving much longer unless they seriously clean up their acts big time.......I expect to see at least TWO pubs with TO LET boards up before the end of the year .....both of those being within 100 metres of Hillsborough 'corner', their trade has reportedly suffered a highly significant and disturbing fall so far.....

It may be cheaper but what does it put back in to the local economy as far as its buying power apart from employment, not much. !

Who cares- its cheaper. As we have our hard earned cash pilfered at every opportunity i have no reservations buying cheap if its as good as the alternatives.

Tell me if I'm wrong (I probably will be), but aren't things like that called Loss Leaders?? To get you in the door?

I know one thing that will have to improve though- 3 times in the last 2 days I've been stuck behind delivery drivers who think that they can just stop their trucks outside the back of the Rawson Spring and unload without allowing the other traffic to pass.

The first time they try that in rush hour, with traffic not able to pass in either direction and a queue all the way back to Walkley Lane, I can imagine they'll make themselves really popular.

Thankfully the pub staff have explained to the drivers that although it looks like a little road it's a very busy one and they'll have to find another place to stop- but with parking down both sides of the road it's going to be a hard job finding somewhere suitable for unloading to happen, even when it's not rush hour.

How long before they get a loading bay outside the back and then the trucks won't be blocking the road any more?