The Deep End pub in Hillsborough - to reopen as The Rawson Spring (Wetherspoon).

Well they've made a nice job of it. Its huuuge.

10 handpumps (not 34 :rolleyes:), two or three side rooms and a decent looking garden / terrace area.

Very much a Wetherspoon - no real character, but not at all bad. Red and black colour scheme, lots of dark wood. The Black Mass I had was on form, and of course bargain prices.

It was packed today which is no real surprise. Everything very smart and polished.

There was a large and obvious security presence which is slightly off putting but seemed to be a professional outfit.

Will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Anyway, as for that meet... Wednesday anyone? :)

I went in and straight out again. 12 deep at the bar and extremely loud rubbish music so that you couldn't talk. Reminded me of Westways or one of those type of places in town. Being busy was expected on opening night, but will there be music like that every night - I didn't think Wspoons went in for that kind of thing?

I'll return when it's not so full and has settled down a bit. It'll be a shame though if all the older people round about don't feel it's for them. What we need there is a big inclusive community boozer where everyone goes at all times of day.

Nice job of the building from what I could make out in 2 minutes through the crowds. I hope to try the beer soon when I can get near the bar.

How many people does it hold I wonder - seemed like a few hundred there last night. It would be good for gigs.

Yes it was very busy - we did the same at lunchtime (walked in then straight out) but it had quietened down a bit around 6 when I had a quick pint, didn't notice any music then.

As for the music - its a 'Lloyds' branded bar so there's music and plasma screens I'm afraid.

Well they've made a nice job of it. Its huuuge.

10 handpumps (not 34 :rolleyes:), two or three side rooms and a decent looking garden / terrace area.

Very much a Wetherspoon - no real character, but not at all bad. Red and black colour scheme, lots of dark wood. The Black Mass I had was on form, and of course bargain prices.

It was packed today which is no real surprise. Everything very smart and polished.

There was a large and obvious security presence which is slightly off putting but seemed to be a professional outfit.

Will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Anyway, as for that meet... Wednesday anyone? :)

Fur coat and no knickers was the phrase that came to my mind. I feel it's going to be another Chav gin palace. I worry about where British/English culture (or lack of culture) is heading. Another nail in the coffin of Hillsborough. Time will tell, but I get the impression that it's another example of (lack of) style over substance.

Fur coat and no knickers was the phrase that came to my mind. I feel it's going to be another Chav gin palace.

I'm inclined to agree.

Won't stop me calling in for a cheap pint of ale after work though - for investigative purposes only you understand.. :D

Been shopping up hillsborough, so i called in for investigative purposes too, was quite busy today still, no music playing but plasma screen tv's on, so are we having an sf meet in there then meaks lol :)

Fur coat and no knickers was the phrase that came to my mind. I feel it's going to be another Chav gin palace. I worry about where British/English culture (or lack of culture) is heading. Another nail in the coffin of Hillsborough. Time will tell, but I get the impression that it's another example of (lack of) style over substance.

I've had a report (not been in) that tallies with yours! Perhaps it was the Legends regulars just in for a nosey on the first night and it'll sort itself out? :roll:

If you don't want chavs to claim a place then make an effort to fight for it yourself, go regularly, bring your friends. Pubs only turn that way because everyone gives up on them.

so are we having an sf meet in there then meaks lol :)

Oh I think so - we almost had one tonight except you didn't see me! :)

Called in again about 6, things had quietened down. Had a pint of Kelham Island Pale Rider - I don't think the woman who served me had ever pulled a pint of beer in her life but she got there in the end, and it wasn't bad at all (slightly too cold maybe, but this seems to be the norm in 'Spoons).

No music, but they probably start that later on. Might walk back later for another if I can be bothered.

If you don't want chavs to claim a place then make an effort to fight for it yourself, go regularly, bring your friends. Pubs only turn that way because everyone gives up on them.

'Fraid not. Pubs turn that way because big beer selling chains get hold of them and get a monopoly on the whole industry.:mad:

;)oh who cares lol if it serves a good pint im in lol, i havent been down boro drinking for agers it did start to get a bit ruff, is it still same any1 know???????;)