New Build planned Stocksbridge

I received a letter this morning stating that there is a plan to build 45 apartments on some disused land behind my house; the land is not that huge so they are proposing to have these apartment 6 floors high (this includes the roof space); they are proposing to do this in two blocks; and have room for car parking;

I don't object to new builds but I am very concerned about the proposed size of the buildings; 6 floors will seriously block my light. I am lodging a complaint but wondered if anyone knew where I stand with this?

I've heard that if it encroaches onto your private space then you can do something about it. I.e. if people can see into your bedroom window from this new build. Anybody know anything else?

I'd call the council planning office and try to look at the plans.

If you want to develop objections, one of the best things that you can do is go and read the Council's Unitary Development Plan and look at the Policies and PPG (Planning Policy Guidlines) that are relevant to housing development.

You will find all sorts of relevant guidelines that may or may not help.

Such things as "changing the character of a neighbourhood",

"recommended densitity of housing", overlooking open space" etc.

Have looked at the plans online; funny tho how on the plans it looks like a huge area of land with loads of space and in reality.......its not that big! need to have a proper look at them.

Oh dear not another one, they want to build 4 storey apartments opposite my house in Stocksbridge. Those apartments are going to be 3m above the ridge line of my house in an area which is two storey residential housing.

My objection has gone in now and I haven't heard anything back. I do hope someone listens to all the valid points made.

It is going to be awful on Manchester Road if all these apartments get approved.

Just found the plans, if I get chance I will object to this as well. It is just getting silly around here.

Just had a look they must be having a laugh if that gets approved, same with the development opposite my house. Either that or something dodgy is going on.

You say that 2-storey is the norm around there?

Apply for 3-storey and you get knocked back to 2-storey. So what to do?

... Apply for 4-storey and get knocked back to 3 which is what you wanted in the first place!!!

You only really have a right to natural daylight if you have had an unobstructed view for more than 20 years. There are no hard and fast rules about what constitutes a detrimental level of reduction either, it’s all very woolly and results of court judgements have varied.

You say that 2-storey is the norm around there?

Apply for 3-storey and you get knocked back to 2-storey. So what to do?

... Apply for 4-storey and get knocked back to 3 which is what you wanted in the first place!!!

Well no, I don't want any storeys full stop. Or do you mean the developers?