Bent's Green Open Air School

My mum was at BGOAS in 1935. She had suffered from pneumonia and was sent there to recuperate. She always said it was the best time of her childhood, there was open air, good food and no overcrowding. She used to help the nurses with bedmaking and looking after the younger children.

Can anyone help or me am I getting my wires crossed was Maud Maxfields school for the deaf on Bents Green Rd the same school that are mentioned in all the posts I went to Greystones Sec Mod and we used the playing fields at Maud Maxfields for our sports events i.e football,cross country,athletics etc any feed back would be helpfull.

Can anyone help or me am I getting my wires crossed was Maud Maxfields school for the deaf on Bents Green Rd the same school that are mentioned in all the posts I went to Greystones Sec Mod and we used the playing fields at Maud Maxfields for our sports events i.e football,cross country,athletics etc any feed back would be helpfull.

Maud Maxfield School for the Deaf was on Ringinglow Road next to Bents Green School also on Ringinglow Road.

During the 1960's I was at Brincliffe Grammar School at Nether Edge, we had no sports facilities so we were "bussed" (Sheffield Corporation) from Brincliffe to the field behind Maud Maxfield School to use the field for our weekly sports.

The field is still there along with the original changing rooms.

So, Jack Hewitt, you haven't got your wires crossed, Maud Maxfield School was here then demolished, Bents Green School was here and still is, it has been refurbished and an extension built 2011.

There are some photos of both schools on http://www.picturesheffield.com

Maud Maxfield School for the Deaf was on Ringinglow Road next to Bents Green School also on Ringinglow Road.

During the 1960's I was at Brincliffe Grammar School at Nether Edge, we had no sports facilities so we were "bussed" (Sheffield Corporation) from Brincliffe to the field behind Maud Maxfield School to use the field for our weekly sports.

So, Jack Hewitt, you haven't got your wires crossed, Maud Maxfield School was here then demolished, Bents Green School was here and still is, it has been refurbished and an extension built 2011.

Thanks DUFFEMS it has been that many years since I was in that area we were also was bussed from Greystone school to the playing fields but on the odd occasion we had to make our own way there many a battle we had with the High Storrs yobs waiting for us we were also bussed to Glossop Rd baths on Fridays swimming lessons it all seems such a long time ago now I would say HAPPY DAYS but I hated school THANKS once again.

Hi, could anybody tell me exactly when was the Maud maxfield closed?

Many thanks

think it was 1980

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 19:53 ----------

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s28475&pos=2&action=zoom

I think it was quite a bit later than that, around 1998, it then housed refugees for a couple of years before being demolished.

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 20:06 ----------

Just thought i would try and remember some of the staff when I was at BGS in the 60s/70s;

Mr Bailey, Head.

Mr Vardy, Deputy Head,

Mrs Seddon, secretary,

Mr Fallows, Woodwork,

Mrs Jones, Infants/Music,

Mrs Kimber, Home economics,

Mr Heward, General teacher,

Mr Orgill, Infants,

Mr Kirkham, English,

Mr Smith, Science/Maths/Art,

Mrs Stone, Typing,

Mrs Rowlands, English,

Mr Lambert, Caretaker,

Mr Pope, Gardener,

Irene, Cook,

Mrs Lobb. Bursar,

Any others ??.

hi my name is ashley jones former (mark jowitt

i went to bgs from 1972 to 1982 seven days a week

if i can help you my email is agrteam@hotmail.com

please don't hesitate to get in touch

:headbang::headbang::headbang::rolleyes:

I remember you I was at bents green 1969 - 1974

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 10:50 ----------

Hi everyone. Its really sad to hear some people had bad experiences at BGS. I did eight years there from 1966 to 74 and absolutely loved it. I wasn't a boarder but the staff were lovely. A few I remember were; Mr Bailey the best headmaster ever! Mr Vardy (dep head) Mr Fallowes (woodwork) Mr Heward (still there) Mr Orgill (in the 'terrapins' before the 'new' school was built) Mrs Rowlands, Mr Lambert (caretaker) Mr Pope (gardener) Mrs Seddon (secretary)Does anyone remember Mr Copestake - the dentist?!. Holidays to Fraisethorpe, Trip to wembley to watch England boys. We had a fantastic reunion last year and hope to arrange another soon - anyone interested please get in touch. Mr Bailey sadly passed away a few years ago, his wife and daughter Fiona live at Biddulph moor.

Hi Mike is this you ??? Mick Spencer, just saw this site and joined. My days At Bents Green too were brilliant. I boarded there and was just showing allan picture of the house, there was Pat Naughton, Margaret Bradbury, Diane Jubb and Myself, we used to dare each other to go out on the balcony as we were on the very top floor. It was winter and thick snow, once we climbed out the window we were locked out. Margaret Bradbury walked on the top of the balcony stone wall then to get back in we used to have to scramble up the roof, slide over the other side and climb back in through the toilet window. Good fun had by all.

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 10:54 ----------

I think it was quite a bit later than that, around 1998, it then housed refugees for a couple of years before being demolished.

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 20:06 ----------

Just thought i would try and remember some of the staff when I was at BGS in the 60s/70s;

Mr Bailey, Head.

Mr Vardy, Deputy Head,

Mrs Seddon, secretary,

Mr Fallows, Woodwork,

Mrs Jones, Infants/Music,

Mrs Kimber, Home economics,

Mr Heward, General teacher,

Mr Orgill, Infants,

Mr Kirkham, English,

Mr Smith, Science/Maths/Art,

Mrs Stone, Typing,

Mrs Rowlands, English,

Mr Lambert, Caretaker,

Mr Pope, Gardener,

Irene, Cook,

Mrs Lobb. Bursar,

Any others ??.

Miss Lunn - Kitchen Cook

Mr Wassell

Mrs Dunn (Mr Smith's bit on side) hehehe

Then of course in the House,

Mrs Lobb

Miss Pat Roach

Miss Irene McGee

Miss Buffrey (Mrs Lobb's eldest daughter)

Elizabeth Lobb but not involved in School

Hi Pam, yes it's me! Thanks for your text last week, things looking up at last. Can you remember the name of the lady who used to accompany us on the bus to Pond St?, she lived at Manor top somewhere near Steve Hammond, been bugging me for ages!. XX.

I went to Greystones and we were bussed there as well but if we had our sports after dinner we had to walk no matter what the weather. Those changing rooms were always cold and if the field was frozen we had to run round the outside of the field, needless to say there was a lot of "wagging" on those days:rolleyes:

I went to Greystones and we were bussed there as well but if we had our sports after dinner we had to walk no matter what the weather. Those changing rooms were always cold and if the field was frozen we had to run round the outside of the field, needless to say there was a lot of "wagging" on those days:rolleyes:

I remember being bussed there in the early 70's from Greystones, I think it used to be a Tuesday afternoon if I remember it rightly, I hated it they used to make us go outside no matter what the weather I just remember standing on the field and just freezing to death, I dont remember being allowed jumpers or anything just shorts and T shirts. It is one of the worst memories I have from school!

I remember being bussed there in the early 70's from Greystones, I think it used to be a Tuesday afternoon if I remember it rightly, I hated it they used to make us go outside no matter what the weather I just remember standing on the field and just freezing to death, I dont remember being allowed jumpers or anything just shorts and T shirts. It is one of the worst memories I have from school!

It must have gone on for a long time as I was at Greystones as I left in the early 60s and had the same experiences, you were lucky though you had shorts we had those awful blue knickers brrrrr!