Bent's Green Open Air School

Try this thread.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8154

It's headed Roundhouse Ringinglow but most of it is about Bents Green Lodge, including a potted history

Thanks for that algy, I hadn't seen it as I didn't know it as Bents Green Lodge. In front of Bents Green School on Ringinglow Road itself there's a small bungalow which has a name plate saying "The Lodge", I assume the school caretaker lives there so I never thought about the school building actually being named Bents Green Lodge.

All the building behind the main school building has now been demolished, it only took a couple of days last week for them to do that. It will interesting to see the new build take shape.

Duffems

The lodge was indeed where the caretaker to the school lived, in the 60s & 70s it was a lovely man called Mr Lambert who lived there with his wife. Also in the grounds on the south side were a collection of grand old buildings which housed the gardener Mr Pope, these included potting sheds with roaring fires and greenhouses. As a child at the school I and others spent many a lunch time in front of the fire listening to Mr Popes stories.

I believe that the present school pupils/staff have all moved out to Talbot (I think).

The original building which fronts Ringinglow Road is still as it was but, all the trees to the left hand side (looking from Ringinglow Road) have gone along with the old lower stone-built buildings presumably to make way for the building of the new school alongside/join up with the original house.

The caretaker's lodge is still there and still occupied.

Duffems

Lovely old picture of the school on ' Picturesheffield .com'. The room on the far right was our common room in the early seventies complete with the telly on which I watched the first episode of 'Emmerdale Farm' in 1972, ( it was first broadcast at lunchtime!).

Can anyone give me information on Bents Green Open Air School, what it was for, who had to go there,and are there any sources of records for the twenties and early thirties?, I am doing a family history project and learned my Mother-in-Law went there

yes i went there it was for children with speical needs or under weight the school was very strict we all had to sleep in very large bedrooms and was made to sleep outside in the day time to get fresh air we had to go to church on sunday mornings all dressed in black walking in two.s and only had visiters once a month that was the only time you got sweets but i do remember a little shop where we could spend a few pennies that is if we were lucky also i.m sure there was a post office but i am going back 60 years

Edited by patsycher

i dont know if you got my tex about bents green open air school let me know [

hi about bents green school can anyone remember going to a camp called amber vally i.m not sure what school i was in at that time but i.m sure it was bents green i.m talkin about 60s years ago

hi i was there in the 40s did you live in i did i was there about 3 or 4 years i can remember going to church sunday morning all dreassed in a large black cape and having to sleep on a camp bed in the day time outside to get some fresh air

Hi patseycher,you go to church eheheheh best laugh Ive had al dayohohoh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi patseycher,you go to church eheheheh best laugh Ive had al dayohohoh!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait till mum gets u now she will take u 2 church

Hi I went there in 1993-1998 and it was okay but still crap all so was reading that Mr heard was teaching there well before the 1980s and he was still there when I left in 1998 wtf he was like a bad old standard in the housing couldn't rub him out lol I can't complained thow. As it was grate for having resadensel and trips out to the country side camping ect the school was ariganly a coach house in the 1800s. The arigenel building still there and still got the drafty halls with 3 floors with bed rooms and the Marbell. Stairs hope this helps all so looking for old pics