Bent's Green Open Air School

Yes I did, I remember Karl, although I think I was a little bit older, I left at Easter 1974. what i do remember is him taking me and a couple of mates to see his dads barge one night after school. I can remember that, but not what happened yesterday!. We played together in the footie team i think. Here is a link to another thread about BGS

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=773863 Hope he's done ok, it was a good place to be in those days.

Hi. My husband karl crofts went to BGS early 1970's he was on the football team and wondered if any one can remember John creswick?
. Yes I remember John Creswick he was a resident there when I was there and he used to go out with a girl there they were madly in love! Just can’t remember her name. We used to run away for the fun of it and one night she came with us and jumped in forge dam so we had to take her back! ???

Karl says he can't remember taking you to the boat but his dad did have oneto visit . He was friends with John and he said they scored too many goals so karl was put in the goal area after that.

Hello. I attended BGS from 1960-67.  I have just read some of the comments on here and would love to hear from anyone who attended at that time. My name is Gillian and I had bad eczema. Although I was there a long time, most of the names (apart from the obvious)  elude me. I went to see the school last year when it was being renovated and the emotions that rose to the surface were incredible.

On 21/03/2020 at 15:18, Gillian H said:

Hello. I attended BGS from 1960-67.  I have just read some of the comments on here and would love to hear from anyone who attended at that time. My name is Gillian and I had bad eczema. Although I was there a long time, most of the names (apart from the obvious)  elude me. I went to see the school last year when it was being renovated and the emotions that rose to the surface were incredible.

Hi Gillian, I started the year before you left, just as the 'new' school was being built. You have now visited the 'new, new' school!! the 'old' one lasting all of around 40  odd years. Although I no longer live in Sheffield I try and visit as often as possible to eat in the 'Hidden Gem' cafe which is housed in the old changing rooms around the back, it serves wonderful food.  I called in to the school last year but there is no one left that even remembers any of the staff from our days, it was all rather sad.  

On 26/12/2009 at 19:56, patsteventon said:

I was a boarder from aprox 1948 to 1950 and it was hell and degading most of the time.There was a lovely old lady called miss Bookham or Bucham she used to visit us one night a week and take us for a walk on sundays and to church . There were only girl boarders .After school one nurse looked after us,she was unkind ,every night we had a shower,all together except the older ones,in a concrete room,the water would be turned on to cold .Often ,when a girl could,nt finish her meal she was made to force it down and if it made her sick made to eat that too .I can only remember two names at the moment Sheila G and Joan Th hope it helps !!!!Pat S.girl guide leader

I too was a boarder there around 1956, I think I was the only one that didn't "escape" because they told me I  if ran away I would be there longer. horrendeous! I remember Miss Bucham well, the only person there with any humanity, she was the girl guide leader and she was lovely, my name then was Ann Bell. I think my daughter finds it hard to believe when I tell her how awful and cruel they were.  

On 09/01/2021 at 14:53, carol1939 said:

I too was a boarder there around 1956, I think I was the only one that didn't "escape" because they told me I  if ran away I would be there longer. horrendeous! I remember Miss Bucham well, the only person there with any humanity, she was the girl guide leader and she was lovely, my name then was Ann Bell. I think my daughter finds it hard to believe when I tell her how awful and cruel they were.  

You're not the first to comment on how bad things were at BGS in the 40s/50s, such a shame as just a few years later in the mid/late 60s onwards it was a wonderful place. All the staff names mentioned had obviously left by then to be replaced by the most caring team imaginable. I left in 1974 but would have gladly stayed there! and most of the friends I remember would have too.

A BIT OF HISTORY.

Hi everyone. Seems the walls in this old building have witnessed a lot over the years, sadly not all good things from what

I've been reading. Thankfully it's now a wonderful place, caring for our 'special children'. - Doing  History Research on the original Inn a few years ago, I contacted the Manager and was invited to visit. Gave me a lot of info and a tour round. Most

interesting! as there are still quite a lot of the old house features visible. You might like to read a few of my snippets.

The SUN INN built by Lord John Murray, was a welcome rest for those travelling to and from  Ringinglow Moors.

The date 1774  is on one end of the house and the Murray sun crest the other. Lord Murray died 1787.

1798 it was listed "Joseph Exleys Sign of the Sun", but a while later after an 'incident', he lost his licence.

It became a residence and was re-named BENTS GREEN LODGE,  having several occupants over the years from

1814. - Joseph Bishop, land agent & surveyor - Albert Smith, clerk to Sheffield Justices - followed by Blakelock Smith.

M.P. H K Stephenson - then J M Allan. All leaving their own mark on the house with various alterations.

1915 was the first school here for Deaf Blind Children. - After alterations, the second school opened 6th Jan 1930

as a Residential Open Air School for 50 children aged  8 - 13.  Continuing as similar for many years , as you know!

2012 after much refurbishment, GIBSON HOUSE  opened as a Special Needs Children's Centre.

After 200+ years of changes, remnants of the Old Architecture are still visible around the halls and rooms.

In the basement there is -  An Old Delivery shoot - A cold storage room with meat hooks - And another room with a

stone table that was for preparing meat, which has a cutaway floor drain .

The Yew Tree in their front garden is thought to be around 300 years old, probably one of the oldest in the area.

And lastly, I'm told on very good authority that they do have a GHOST !!

Regards Heartshome