Bent's Green Open Air School

I have found some old photos of when I was a boarder at the school between 1949 and 1951. You will have to click on the link to see them as am afraid I can't load them directly on here.

The first photo, below, is when I was picked for May Queen. We put on a show so everyone here is dressed up for it...

zt7m1y.jpg

This is me in my May Queen dress with head teacher Miss Wolstenholme and a girl called Doreen - not sure if she was head girl or not. Miss Wolstenholme was the head of the whole school but she always invited a few of us boarders to tea in her room. Everybody loved her.

149b7l5.jpg

This one was taken on Open Day in June 1951 and we are dressed for a show again. The boys are day pupils and us girls are all boarders. I can't remember the name of the teacher on the left but the teacher on the right with her daughter is Mrs. Neilson. She was an exchange teacher from Canada.

53uwza.jpg

The final photo is an official school photo and shows us in our PE kit - both boarders and day pupils.

8y6j3c.jpg

Edited by patsteventon

I was at BGOAS from about 1948 to 1953. I had several friends and on the whole enjoyed my time there. One drawback was that from an educational standpoint it was very poor.

i'd be grateful if anyone who remembers me would get in touch.

I remember a Norwegian teacher called Miss Neilson and the headmistress Miss Wolstenholme, Miss Jubb, Mr Vardy.

i have a group photo of a school open day in which we dressed up in national costumes and dresses. I was a Scottish child in a kilt.

I was at BGOAS from about 1948 to 1953. I had several friends and on the whole enjoyed my time there. One drawback was that from an educational standpoint it was very poor.

i'd be grateful if anyone who remembers me would get in touch.

I remember a Norwegian teacher called Miss Neilson and the headmistress Miss Wolstenholme, Miss Jubb, Mr Vardy.

i have a group photo of a school open day in which we dressed up in national costumes and dresses. I was a Scottish child in a kilt.

As mentioned in previous posts I started at BGS in 1966. Mr Vardy was still there as the deputy head and continued well into the 1970s so he must have done a long stint!. He was very old school and strict but also very fair. I remember visiting him at his bungalow at Norton where he showed me around his stunning garden, a far cry from making us dig his veg patch at school!. He was very dry witted and humorous 'away from the job'.

As mentioned in previous posts I started at BGS in 1966. Mr Vardy was still there as the deputy head and continued well into the 1970s so he must have done a long stint!. He was very old school and strict but also very fair. I remember visiting him at his bungalow at Norton where he showed me around his stunning garden, a far cry from making us dig his veg patch at school!. He was very dry witted and humorous 'away from the job'.

Mr Vardy taught my sister, who left Bents Green in 1982. She was in classes with Mr Heward (Hewson?) Mrs Gill, and Mr Vardy. Mr Bailey was the headmaster till around the time my sister left, he was a lovely, lovely chap.

Here is another photo I found. We are doing a display for parents - probably an open day about 1949-51. The teacher stood by the classroom is Miss Judd I think, judging by the way she is standing

[url="2mruptc.jpg"]

Edited by patsteventon

Can anyone give me information on Bents Green Open Air School, what it was for, who had to go there,and are there any sources of records for the twenties and early thirties?, I am doing a family history project and learned my Mother-in-Law went there

Hi Highnote, sorry this is an unrelated message to this thread but I have tried sending you a private message/email but it says I am not allowed to send any to you. Have just received your message in my inbox and would love to chat more to you. If you could send me a message with your email or another way of contacting you that would be brilliant, thanks!

Very sad to hear so many bad things went on in BGSS! I was there as a Delicate Child in 1963 & was lucky to have a great time. My teacher was Miss Jubb, who was very sweet! Mr Orgill was in the next classroom to us. I met some great mates there(Marilyn Nelson, Arnold Somerset, Keith Varley, Susan Hickey.... to name a few!), but I went bro Silverdale across the road in '66. It was ok, but I missed my friends & Miss Jubb. Good old Bill Bailey and his wife really did us proud with camping visits to Bridlington...totally cool. I was so inspired by Muss Jubb that I became a teacher myself. I hope the newly upgraded BSS is a huge success, & the current political mess doesn't damage it's progress...

---------- Post added 29-12-2014 at 12:45 ----------

I often wonder how Mr Baileys wife and daughter (Fiona?) are. I hope they're still doing ok in Buddulph! heathersidery

i agree mr bill baily was a fantastic guy and mr vardy with his dog lol but the new headmaster came in mr elliot and i hated him

remember mostly when we had to go ice skating evey wednesday evening then back to school for tea and a few of us stayed over the weekend from 1972 to 1982 please mr plaintalk who was your sister she was there the same time as me lol

---------- Post added 26-06-2015 at 22:57 ----------

brodie its mark jowitt (alias) was m8s with tim turton tanya jones russel hauge

---------- Post added 26-06-2015 at 22:58 ----------

anyone remember Mrs gill she always said you boy come here lol

Hello.

Could anyone tell me about the Open Air School at Bents Green please? My Grandma Maria Elliott told me that my Mother, Vera Elliott went there in the 1930's. They lived at Hangram Lane Farm. What was the School all about? I am researching the Elliott Family History.

Hi. My husband karl crofts went to BGS early 1970's he was on the football team and wondered if any one can remember John creswick?

Hi Rosie, Not sure if i've got the correct person here but did Karls dad live on, or restore a barge on the canal wharf??.

Yes you have the right person. Did you go to to BGS?