Need help with Ebay

Should people by alowed to sell concert tickets on ebay  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should people by alowed to sell concert tickets on ebay

• yes
    • no
    • Just show me the results

If someone offers well over the odds for an item you`re selling on ebay, and asks you to by pass the auction, and tell them your paypal acc no.so they can pay immediately. Is this an obvious scam?

If something seems too good to be true, it generally is.

Thanks for your responce.

Yes it is a scam and bypassing ebay rules may get you a ban.

Yes its a scam! Been going on for years aparently.

Someone tried it when I was selling a mobile phone.

They offered me more money than the reserve and asked me to stop the auction so they could buy it. I had stated in my terms that I would only post in the uk and he then decided although he was in the Uk, I had to post it to his daughter for her supposed birthday in Somalia or somewhere!

If you go on the ebay forums you will see hundreds of examples of how people have been scammed in this way.

Dont do it!

Of course this is a scam.

But the very fact that people are willing to do it because they just see the $$$ signs appear is why they are successful.

All you have to do is think it through - if they really were willing to pay over the odds, they could just put that amount in as a high bid. They'd win and probably pay less. Why would any legitimate buyer not do that?

So how does he gain then?
Oh dear. He gains cos he doesn't pay you if it's done outside Ebay there is no security as Ebay and everyone else are at pains to point out .

I had the same thing when selling a mobile phone and two of my work collegues also did. It's a right con. Ebay should do something about it. My auction went through to the end and the winning bidder (who bid way over the odds) was the scammer, I then had to auction again. I complained to ebay about it but you never get to know the outcome.

Oh dear. He gains cos he doesn't pay you if it's done outside Ebay there is no security as Ebay and everyone else are at pains to point out .

Not that Ebay are actually that much use/help is something does go wrong, neither are Paypal, they have their cut and don't realy care.

The best way round this is to simply ask the bidder if they're a scammer or not. As everyone using the internet is 100% honest, they'd be duty-bound to tell you one way or the other.

So how does he gain then?

They gain by not paying for the goods.

They will, by a variety of means, arrange to have the goods sent somewhere, and will either not pay, or, if they have to pay in advance, would send a duff cheque that would seem to clear and then bounce, or some other scam.

It varies, but the factor that stays the same is that the scammer doesn't pay out.

Thanks for those replies. The question was in fact about the actual item being kept private, so that feedback can be left but the item purchased does not show up. It states 'private' instead of the item number that you can click on and see what was purchased? (like if you were planning a surprise).

That information is also helpful, thanks dieselbabe :)

If it comes up private on your feedback profile it may not do on the sellers nor would the seller want it to because he wants other potential to see what he's been doing.

I had bit of amusement just before my birthday when I was about to bid on something and found that I was bidding against OH who was buying me the item in secret for my birthday. (;) XXX )